Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Occupant seat sensor

Mustang_Driver
07-15-2017, 05:58 PM
Ok i just got this vehicle a couple months ago 2008 ford escape XLT 4wd seemed like a pretty decent vehicle up until the last few weeks when i would have a passenger in the vehicle the dash AIRBAG light would come on no passenger NO light, so i got to looking into things and noticed the issue could be a sensor under the seat so i took it to the dealer and was told that it was a occupant capacity seat monitor and it looked broken and the part was non serviceable and i needed to buy a new seat cushion to the tune on 3100 canadian dollars well i called ford canada and was told that due to the mileage of the vehicle there was nothing that they could do even if were a safety issue and that their hands were tied and NO help could be rendered so i went back to the dealer and had a talk with the parts guy and he said he didn't see an issue with me putting a used sensor in but i needed to get the right part number, so i pulled the seat out today got the part number 8L84-14B422-AE i have looked online and found a few but the part number was 6L84-14B422-AB and before i put out 150 for the sensor i was wondering if anyone knew if these parts were compatible.

Thanks in advance (car is parked till i get it repaired)

Mustang_Driver
10-19-2017, 07:07 PM
okay i got the OCS switched out but the light still comes on if there is a passenger in the seat so i am wondering it i have to have it programmed by the dealership it is the exact same part number but is out of a 4cyl hybrid and i have the 6cyl 4wd

Mustang_Driver
05-02-2018, 06:51 PM
OK well it seems like this is a dead subject so i dusted off my credit card and bought a scan tool that can diagnose the airbag light but when i go and scan it it says there are no DTC'S in vehicle memory so i an at a loss as to what is triggering the light to come on only when i have a passenger in the vehicle the airbag dummy light comes on by the speedometer when i have a passenger in the seat but not on at all when the seat is unoccupied, will check it again later but i am stumped asif there is a light it needs to have an error code..:banghead::banghead:

also i may have fixed the intermittent oil light on the dash as well it took my the better part of the afternoon but i got a new switch installed as mine looked like it had oil seepage but the oil was black as night with only 1300km on it so i don't know what ford put in there but i don't think they changed the oil when i asked them too..now the oil is clear as glass and it full synthetic high mileage with a new filter so i will see how things go from here i know that is done properly but just needs a new drain pan bolt next oil change

Goza
01-30-2019, 07:49 PM
I have the same issue on an 04 .

Mustang_Driver
02-27-2019, 12:42 AM
i found out it was the seatbelt Pre-Tensioner mine had the wire routed wrong and i had a short to ground whenever anyone got in the passenger seat it pulled the wire tight and and shorted out on the seat bracket so i did what my mind told me to do and dis-assemble it and re-route the wire and put a piece of electrical tape along the length and haven't had an issue since been about 8months now but ford service tech says i should bring it to them to repair at $140per hour i said no and still up in the air if i want to trade it in

Add your comment to this topic!