Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt too tight?

somick
02-13-2017, 10:51 AM
1999 4 cylinder Accord. 155K miles.

Whining after I did some work on the balancer shaft. Did I overtighten the belt?

I followed the FSM procedure: moved the crankshaft three teeth counterclockwise and then I PUSHED the balance shaft tensioner down with my finger. The balancer belt became tight but I thought that it was supposed to be like that.

Did I make a mistake?

Is it possible to readjust the belts without taking everything apart?

My plan is to put the crankshaft at TDC, loosen the tensioner bolt one turn, rotate the crankshaft (20-30 degrees counterclockwise) and then simply tighten the bolt back.

Will it work? Will the balancer belt tensioner spring put enough tension on the belt. The spring looks very weak.

I hope somebody will have a solution to my problem!

Regards,
Sam

somick
02-16-2017, 11:18 AM
The title was supposed to read: balancer belt because it was too tight and that what was making the noise. I wanted to edit the title but it did work.

The instructions in Honda FSM are a bit vague. They do not specify how tight the belt supposed to be. In other words: tight but not that tight.

So, according to my plan, I aligned the mark on the pulley with the mark on the timing belt cover and unscrewed the tensioner bolt one turn. I thought I heard the tensioner moved. I tightened the bolt back.

No more whining! I think I hear something but most likely I am just paranoid!

The best test was this morning because my wife said: "I do not hear that sound anymore..."

Add your comment to this topic!