Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Loose steering

dezso3
02-03-2017, 03:32 PM
You make a right turn, and you notice that the steering wheel feels very loose, and it takes a long time for it to return to the center. Which components, besides the tie rods, could be loose?

maxwedge
02-03-2017, 04:54 PM
And whst vehicle is this??

dezso3
02-03-2017, 05:33 PM
It's a 2016 Honda Civic LX sedan.

maxwedge
02-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Should be under warranty? But anything in the steering can cause this.

shorod
02-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Is it electric power steering?

-Rod

dezso3
02-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Is it electric power steering?

-Rod

Yes, it's dual pinion electric power steering.

shorod
02-05-2017, 08:47 PM
Maybe the issue is with the electric assist over-boosting. Have you checked, or had someone check, for looseness in the steering and suspension yet? Have you made sure all lugnuts are properly torqued?

-Rod

RidingOnRailz
03-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Maybe the issue is with the electric assist over-boosting. Have you checked, or had someone check, for looseness in the steering and suspension yet? Have you made sure all lugnuts are properly torqued?

-Rod

Electric power steering is a great idea, but its execution so far has been on the overboosted side. It's quiet, seemless, and direct. Engineers just need to realize that to provide the same assist level with EPS as with hydraulic, they need to tone it down a bit. Or leave it overboosted for parking, and progressively less over 20mph. Hydraulic adds a degree of latency between steering wheel and the road, with fluid, belts, and a pump.

Hyundai attenpted to recreate that 'slop' with its foray into EPS in 2011 in Sport mode, and ended up with Sonatas and Elantras that steered themselves! What a disaster! Because electric is so direct, it needs less power than an equivalent conventional steering system to provide the same level of assist.

Check your tire pressures: Steering feels more responsive with higher tire pressures, and wheels may not center as quickly with smaller resulting contact patch. I like a little steering heft myself, so on my car I strictly follow the mfg placard on the door B-pillar, or even a little below.

RidingOnRailz
03-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Use Power Steering **below 20mph** & Enjoy The Life

Thanks
Bondy

See amendment ^^

military
04-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Dezso, I strongly urge you to use your warranty for this repair. If you attempt to repair it yourself or take it to a non-dealership, you may void your warranty for anything to do with the steering and be struggling with this all on your own.

If you have a problem with the dealership you bought it from, follow the protocols that came with your owner's manual for moving the problem up the ladder. You may also want to be sure everything is documented on the shop order and keep your copies on file for future reference.

Add your comment to this topic!