Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Injector question

rwh531
01-25-2017, 04:39 AM
So my 95 jimmy has some sort of fuel issue causing it to sputter/die unless I use supreme gas plus an octane booster (issue started just in the last few weeks).

Replacing the fuel filter today but I wanted to know what the likelyhood of this being an injector or more serious problem.

Also notice that my exhaust is not running as cleanly as normal making me think Catalytic converter but I don't see how that would effect engine performance though I admit I am not very knowledgeable of the ins/outs of the vehicle as it's never given me any issues in the 5 years i've owned it thus the only thing I've done is changed out the oil and oil/air filters (not even changed the plugs (as they were new when i got it and i've only put maybe 15k miles on the rig.

Stealthee
01-25-2017, 05:18 AM
If the cat is plugged it will cause the engine to run rough due to blocking flow.

rwh531
01-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Thank you, Turns out it was the fuel filter. Was a pain to replace, wish their was some type of extension tubing you could buy to relocate the filter to a more accessible area.

shorod
01-26-2017, 06:38 AM
Interesting find. I'm not quite sure why increasing the octane would temporarily mask a fuel filter issue. Thank you for following up with what you found.

-Rod

Stealthee
01-26-2017, 03:37 PM
I can't see how it would have myself. Higher octane is harder to burn, so my belief is he was experiencing placebo effects. Also octane boosters barely work. When it says it raises the octane 2 points, it is raising 93 octane to 93.2 octane.

Add your comment to this topic!