Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gap between tire and rim.

Jim1847
01-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Hi, trying to get some more miles out of my 99 Camry and went to a local shop and got new tires. The tire size is correct but it looks as if the tires aren't sitting flush with the rim. I was told newer tires have this for protection for the rim, any thoughts would be helpful.

Blue Bowtie
01-04-2017, 07:31 PM
It actually appears that the tire has the wrong section width. Read the size on the tire sidewall and compare that to the decal in the door jam.

Stealthee
01-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that's definitely not right.

CapriRacer
01-05-2017, 07:17 AM
I don't see anything wrong.

I see the tire - which doesn't have a rim protector. Then I see the steel wheel, and no gap between the tire and the wheel.

Then I see the silver wheel cover with a small gap between the cover and the wheel - perfectly normal.

Perhaps a better description of where this gap is would help.

shorod
01-05-2017, 01:14 PM
I agree with several of the comments above. The tire doesn't seem quite wide enough for the wheel, but other than that there are no gaps I'd be concerned with, assuming the tire is the correct size for the car.

The rim protector feature that some newer tires (typically higher performance tires) have are not present on the tire in the image, so whomever told you that apparently wasn't looking at your vehicle or they didn't really know what they were talking about.

The gap between your plastic wheel cover and your steel wheel looks fine, no concern there. You might take a look at where the valve stem exits the wheel cover though to make sure the wheel cover is oriented correctly.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!