Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

digital temperature gauge and cooling system

smantas
11-25-2016, 10:00 PM
I have a 2001 grand marquis with a digital dash. After letting the car idle in 40 degree outside temps with the hood up the cooling fan kicks on ...meanwhile the digital temp gauge never gets off the 3 bar mark...when the fan kicks on it knocks it back down to 2 bars and continues this cycle...is this normal?..

also the antifreeze is a brownish color, no oil in it, no white smoke and the oil looks clean...

I just bought this car and it was maintained by the dealer since new from some old man original owner...

Every ford I have ever owned the temp gauge always stays in the middle...both analog and digital...

havent driven the car yet except for the 3 mile drive home since I bought it. is this something that needs to be driven to get it to the 4 bar mark?...obviously it's up to operating temp if the fan is kicking on and off and the upper radiator hose is hot so I know the thermostat is open...also hose is not rock hard so I have eliminated a bad head...thoughts?

smantas
12-01-2016, 06:22 PM
anybody ?

auto trainy
12-02-2016, 11:25 AM
How many miles?

silicon212
12-03-2016, 12:23 AM
First, I would do a full flush of the cooling system and use new antifreeze. Use the yellow kind.

Also, it is possible the thermostat has been removed from the car. Are you getting a check engine light?

smantas
12-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Has 142000 miles ...no check engine light and thermostat is still in car and working properly...Car calls for the conventional green..

Add your comment to this topic!