Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.


2005 ran hot and shut off now starter just spins Please help


mgfcortez
10-07-2016, 02:34 AM
hi my 2005 Buick LeSabre has been running hot just a little bit but didn't think it was anything to worry about because it would just go a little over half way and go right back down think i need to flush my radiator anyway i was on the hwy going 70mph and i looked down and it went up to 3/4 on the heat gauge so i was going to pull over but before i could the engine light started flashing and it shut off and they was a burning smell now after i let it cool the starter sounds like it just turns over like its not engaging the engine i haven't looked at it being its at my friends house that came and got it and wanted to look at it at the time he was thinking it might had been the timing belt and sound like it could be it but now he's saying the belt is turning but it ant getting fuel and its the fuel pump now i don't think it's could be the fuel pump went out i think he's crazy for thinking its the fuel pump he's a know it all but a good guy but i need to find out what it is maybe a sensor could got hot and burned out to stop the fuel and starter from spinning anyway if the belt is turning it can't be locked up anyway anybody knows of what it could be i have a code reader i took codes off of it while i was stuck on the side of the road here they are

po325 knock sensor 1 ckt malfunction bnk 1 or single sensor

po420 catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1

po449 evap cntrl system vent valve/solenoid malfunction

p1811 maximum adapt and long shift

please if anybody has any clue what it could be help me out thinking it has to be a sensor that made the starter not engaging the engine and the fuel not pump up but he may had just think the engine not getting fuel and not checked it i wish i could look at it but stuck here until Sunday i hope it didn't do anymore damage than that but can't tell till i can see if it start up or not please anybody help me out thank you so much

MikeCStig
10-07-2016, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't trust a word your friend says for one glaring reason: He's telling you what the "timing belt" is doing. Your engine (a 3800 series II if I'm not mistaken) doesn't have a timing belt. It doesn't have overhead camshafts, it has the dinosaur single internal camshaft timed by either a chain or gears. He's either watching what the serpentine belt is doing thinking that's the timing belt, or he hasn't looked at anything and he's just making sh*t up. Either way, he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Now, the actual problem could be related to the cooling system (and the fact that it overheated) but I think it's more likely to be the starter. What you're describing sounds like something that happened with a Chevy Cavalier I once had. The starter gear wasn't making contact with the flywheel so every time I turned the key, the starter motor would spin aimlessly, not accomplishing anything at all.
It could also be an ignition issue. That smell you mentioned may have been wires melting under higher than usual heat.

Add your comment to this topic!