Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Does oil leak hurt bushings?

ippap
08-06-2016, 05:57 AM
My car has a massive engine oil leak which completely soaks the bushings of both lower arms if not washed for a month or so. Some people told me this damages the bushings whereas some say it lubricate them making them even smoother (they mean it's a good thing for the bushings).

I noticed that when they get soaked in oil, the car really becomes smoother on nasty humps and stuff, but not sure if the they are getting worst more quickly because of the oil.

What do you think?

maxwedge
08-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Depending on the composition of the bushing, oil could accelerate their deterioration.

bellaCuba
08-06-2016, 06:13 PM
+1^ I agree with Maxwedge. Oil leaks will eventually swell the bushings & eventually break down. Motor oil has a mix of fuel once it's been in the engine running for some time. The fuel swells certain rubbers. Same goes for trans, power steering, & brake fluid leaks... but even faster.

If the oil were just a white lithium or petroleum jelly, then it would just lubricate, like some may have stated.

ippap
08-07-2016, 02:22 AM
So it's the fuel that hurts the rubber. I was suspecting it's the dirt and sand.

@ Maxwedge is it easy to find out about the composition. My car is 2000 Maxima.

maxwedge
08-07-2016, 06:48 AM
You could Google the parts and see if you can find out what they are made of, but you still cannot be sure of the long term effect.

Add your comment to this topic!