Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gear Oil Recommendation for 2007 Corolla

El Gato27
07-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Planning on changing the gear oil on my 2007 Toyota Corolla. Iíve used the regular Valvoline in the past but I have always wondered about the Royal Purple gear oil. It is more expensive and I was wondering if it would make shifting much smoother or if I would even notice a change. Willing to pay extra if there is a noticeable improvement in shifting.

Motivation here is that I am planning on teaching my daughter how to drive standard and would like the shifting to be as smooth as possible.

Thank you.

MikeCStig
07-14-2016, 11:36 AM
All I've heard about royal purple is that it lasts longer and provides better protection to moving parts. As far as smoothing out the shifts you may want to take a look at the linkage and replace any worn parts.

shorod
07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Any synthetic gear oil of the correct weight will likely make the shifting noticeably smoother. Years ago when I still had a vehicle with a manual transmission I went with Valvoline synthetic to better handle the heat from track use. Right away I noticed the transmission slid in to gears smoother than before which was a welcomed side benefit.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!