Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

paint question-coloured plastic bleeding through

GTRfan01
06-09-2016, 07:28 AM
hi all,

as the heading says, I would like other peoples recommendations about primering to stop coloured styrene from bleeding through.
I have a few kits in my stash molded in yellow and orange (why do they do this! its so stupid!) and before i start them i want to make sure it wont bleed through at the time of painting or over time.
i've done some searching on the forums but i havnt come to a conclusion yet.

i have seen this colour bleeding thing happen to other peoples models and cant afford it to happen to mine.

will a few good coats of tamiya/mr hobby grey primer do the job or do i should i use something else? maybe even a black primer? (ive seen 'army painter' black primer that is available to me)

Thanks in advance.

thanks in advance

sjelic
06-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Tamiya spray primers work best for me, you need white for lighter colors, grey is good for darker shades, black primers I use as semi gloss black because they are the most uniform way to cover something in black, I don't use black for body

mel79
06-09-2016, 02:34 PM
I think your best bet is to use sealer/sealant. Hiroboy sells pre-thinned sealer (http://www.hiroboy.com/PreThinned_Sealer__60ml--product--3534.html) but you can probably find local automotive paint products for the same purpose too. Just be careful that they are not too hot for plastic.

Other alternatives that might work are silver basecoat or Future floorwax.

br
Mikko

RonCla
06-10-2016, 02:46 AM
I use B-I-N Sealer available from Bunnings. Its shellac based and prevents bleeding and hot solvent auto paints from getting to the plastic.

It needs to be airbrushed and wash up is done with Methylated Spirits.
It does come in a spray can but the spray pattern is way to much for a model.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zinsser-1l-b-i-n-primer-sealer-stain-killer_p1561796

GTRfan01
06-10-2016, 06:22 AM
thanks for the replies. much appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!