Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What will happen to Returned (CORE) at supplier of re-manufactured engine facility?

GBCamry99
01-23-2016, 02:55 PM
What will happen to Returned (CORE) at supplier of re-manufactured engine facility? :banghead:

My 99 camry faced timing belt failure at 86+K miles. As I did not know much about cars then, my mechanic steer me to go for engine replacement doing leak-down test improperly. (long story)

Mechanic assumed my engine was an interference motor when the timing belt slipped , and swapped out my engine with a rebuilt motor .

He returned my OEM motor to re-manufactured engine supplier. I know these supplier rebuild this CORE and sell to someone else.

I'm wondering whether this supplier do testing/inspection on returned CORE, before doing a rebuild on this CORE.

Is it possible to get a core inspection/test report from them?

Are there any state/federal agency have oversight on these re-manufactured engine supplier?

Thanks for sharing.:newbie:

tomj76
05-19-2016, 11:57 AM
I don't know what happens at a rebuilder. My guess is they just take it apart, inspect the components, then remanufacture.

FYI, the mechanic can check for damage on an interference engine by: 1) remove valve cover 2) loosen components (e.g. rocker arms or camshafts) to allow valves to seat 3) do compression testing on each cylinder. Good compression shows that the valves were not damaged.

Brian R.
05-20-2016, 09:39 AM
FYI, the mechanic can check for damage on an interference engine by: 1) remove valve cover 2) loosen components (e.g. rocker arms or camshafts) to allow valves to seat 3) do compression testing on each cylinder. Good compression shows that the valves were not damaged.

It is necessary to have the valves operational to correctly perform a compression test. A test without operational valves will be meaningless.

Add your comment to this topic!