Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intermittent turn signals

billman51
01-04-2016, 06:48 PM
I have a 2001 Olds Alero with intermittent signals. I verified all fuses and proceeded to remove the multi-function switch, which had a burn on one contact. At times, I could tap the area of the column and they might work for a bit. I tested wiring per manual and replaced the multi-function switch. It all worked fine for a few days until the signals were not working again. The next day, I used the car and all was well again. I made sure the connector plugging into the switch had good and clean contacts. The hazard lights work fine so all bulbs are good and all fuses good. I'm kind of at a loss as to why the turn signals have an intermittent operation. I guess I missed something, but after working on vehicles for 35 years before retiring 6 years ago, I am confused on this one. Maybe one of our Olds owners have some ideas for me. Thanks in advance. Billman51

Tech II
01-04-2016, 09:38 PM
Common problem for GM N bodies, Alero, Grand Am, etc.

It's the hazard switch.......next time the directionals don't work, turn them off, and turn your hazards on...turn them off....now try your directionals....if they now work, replace the Hazard Switch....there was a campaign for this......

Add your comment to this topic!