Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Liberty Engine Noise

toddw260
01-04-2016, 12:06 PM
My 03 Liberty makes a rattling noise at the front of the engine. It is a 3.6L V6 with 185K miles on it.
The mechanic that we take the car to said we need to replace the timing chains. We have had AC problems and I thought is might be the compressor. I removed the serpentine belt and the noise persisted.
Based on experience with motorcycles, it sounds like a loose chain. The noise varies with engine speed. You can here the vehicle coming from a couple hundred feet away.
The previous post I could find in this forum referred to people getting 250K+ miles without timing chain replacement.
Anybody else experienced a similar noise.
Thanks

MikeCStig
01-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Anyone you've spoken to who got 250k or more out of a timing chain is lucky. Those chains wear out, the links expand over time, the rollers wear out and that results in the chain loosening up. If your timing chain is making noise, replace it, you definitely don't want it to break.
Remember, a chain (of any kind) is only as strong as its weakest link.

rhandwor
01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Use a stethoscope and listen to the covers for the chain you can probably hear rubbing. When replacing buy the full set with guides and tensioners.

Add your comment to this topic!