Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

From shutting off to not starting

Troizen
10-28-2015, 10:32 AM
So we've been having trouble with the car which is a 2000 Grand Am SE 2.4ltr.
This all started a month ago. One day the car wouldn't start. I bought a new battery (old one was 5 years old time for a new one) and started and ran just fine for the first day. The next day the car did not start. After havung my brother in law check it ouy, he suggested we get a new fuel pump relay so I went out and bought it. It fixed the problem and the car was startin and running again. A few days later while my brother and I where driving down south, the car shut off while driving. It started happening more and more to the point were it happened everyday. When the car shuts off, all the lights stay on and a noise comes from the dashboard. The noise sounds electrical. The car usually would start after 30 minutes to an hour. Last night it shut off on me and it didn't start after 2 hours of sitting on the side of the road. It doesn't happen at highway speeds, only really while driving locally. Now the car is still not starting and I've no clue as to what could be the problem. I've read that it can be a number of things. From the fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, ecu, ignition coil, etc. I'm just really looking for lots of feedback so I have some idea of what to expect when it goes to the shop. Has anyone had the problem?

brcidd
10-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Wiggle the ignition switch next time it won't start- sounds like bad arching contacts in ignition switch-

Troizen
10-28-2015, 04:35 PM
No dice. Tried it and it didnt work :/

Tech II
10-28-2015, 10:00 PM
When it won't start, spray carb cleaner into the intake and see if it starts and runs as long as you spray....if it does, fuel delivery problem....injectors aren't firing or fuel pump...my money is on the pump.....

Add your comment to this topic!