Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 TopKick battery drain problem

bstrom1953
08-11-2015, 11:39 PM
This truck just had a new alternator installed and replaced the 8 year old batteries. The alternator charges properly.

Because we previously had times when the charged batteries would go dead overnight, I checked the current to ground with the key off. The ammeter immediately read 28 ma. About 20 seconds later it dropped to 18 ma. and then finally settled at around 8 ma. Is this normal? Shouldn't the current drain be zero when the key is off? Is the computer on all the time and draws that amount?

I pulled fuses at the fuse block mounted on the firewall and found two 40 amp circuits where the current was going...around 4 ma each. FYI it has a Cat diesel engine. I'm just wondering how long two big 12 volt batteries will hold a charge with 8 mils of current going to ground.

Thanks for any ideas.

DeltaP
08-12-2015, 10:16 AM
8ma is about what the ecm will draw. That shouldn't make a dent on a pair of fully charged group 31 batts in parallel. What other accy's on the truck? Lift gate, refrigeration unit? Lift gate only being used while truck is running?

brcidd
08-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Rule of thumb is anything less than 50 ma draw is fine.

DeltaP
08-12-2015, 11:11 AM
That's some driveway you got there.

Add your comment to this topic!