Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting issue

mosier
06-29-2015, 09:32 PM
i have a 1974 cutlass supreme I just put a new ignition lock in and a starter solenoid and every time I go to turn over the car I have to play with the key to get it to start not sure what this might be causing this problem would love some help....this problem was there b4 I replaced the ignition lock cylinder and starter solenoid

Crvett69
06-29-2015, 09:49 PM
its probably the switch itself then, should be on top of the the steering column under the dash. could also be your neutral safety/ clutch pedal switch depending on tranny

mosier
06-30-2015, 02:37 PM
thanks and will I need to pull the whole steering out? to get to it im not sure if its a lose connection or not making contact. when I turn the key all the way to start it I have to let off it just a small amount an turn back full way for it to start to turn over I've been stumped on this for quite some time now.

maxwedge
06-30-2015, 06:28 PM
The switch at the bottom of the column is out of adjustment.

mosier
07-01-2015, 05:20 PM
today I went out to start it after its just been siting in the sun and when I go to turn over the ignition is very squeaky like its rubbing on something on the inside and will not start or turn over I have power but that's it any ideas on that or am I going to have to replace the whole steering column????????????????

Add your comment to this topic!