Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'02 ABS Brakes Engage At Low Speed - Definitive Solution?

ID2957
06-28-2015, 12:35 PM
I'm purchasing a friend's '02 Avalanche and it has the issue wherein the ABS brakes engage when coming to a stop at very very low speed. I know there was a recall for this in 2005 and have been reading on various other forums. Some say the speed sensor has to be replaced, others say it just needs to be de-rusted and cleaned. Some have said the problem comes back shortly after doing the above solutions.. Has anyone on this forum found a definitive solution to the problem?

maxwedge
06-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Either repair may fix this, a full scan can pinpoint the suspect sensor.

j cAT
07-14-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm purchasing a friend's '02 Avalanche and it has the issue wherein the ABS brakes engage when coming to a stop at very very low speed. I know there was a recall for this in 2005 and have been reading on various other forums. Some say the speed sensor has to be replaced, others say it just needs to be de-rusted and cleaned. Some have said the problem comes back shortly after doing the above solutions.. Has anyone on this forum found a definitive solution to the problem?

here in the rust belt we all have had this problem. with these vehicles GM used a hub seal that will rust out in a few years . then water enters the front hubs causing the ABS to prevent braking at low speeds like 5MPH. I replaced my front hubs with timken type. no problems at all now. on the GM recall .. This is a GM scam. what GM did to save money they simply removed and cleaned the rusted sensor grease off the sensor tip which is a magnet. since the vehicle owner had them do the recall then thats it GM is DONE with it . then shortly after the problem returns but this time you pay to fix it not GM! I still have the OEM rusted out hubs. GM should have payed for the replacement NOT ME ! FAILED just after warranty ended. both failed left / right ...same way what I have done and others appear to have also done is when doing a brake job remove the hub sensor and pump some grease into the hub sensor hole..

Add your comment to this topic!