Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie driver with insurance questions

04-08-2015, 06:40 PM
i'm looking to buy a 1983 280zx. a friend of mine said that a car over 25 years old is considered a classic car and needs a certain kind of car insurance plan to go with it with one of the requirements being that the driver is over the age of 25 (which i'm not). is there any way to get around this or is it set in stone? my family has statefarm if that helps. thanks in advance.

04-08-2015, 08:27 PM
I can tell you that I live in PA myself, and your friend is incorrect. My first car was 25 years old when I was 18 and I just put regular old liability on it.

You CAN put different plates and different insurance on a car over 25 years old, but you are not required too.

EDIT: I just recalled even more proof of how your friend is wrong. In PA a car can be titled as classic when it is 15 years old. It can be titled as antique at 25 years old.

In addition, if you title them as such there are limitations on how you can use the car and how many miles it can be driven in a year period.

Lastly, I have State Farm myself. Have had them for 15 years now and only ever had one issue on a claim, and only had that issue because the at fault party was also a State Farm customer. After giving the CSR I spoke with a tongue lashing, then calling my local agent I got the total I deserved to repair my car. One thing I suggest is to get your own policy in your own name. Yes it will cost a little more to start with, but it will be worth it in the end. I believe State Farm requires you to be on your parents policy for 6 weeks before you start your own. That may be different now though, but that is how it was when I started my policy.

04-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info! Really informative!

03-09-2021, 09:19 AM
thanks for the awesome information.

Add your comment to this topic!