Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Explorer

ahigdon03
01-13-2015, 08:15 PM
I Have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT my problem is my truck will shift into reverse but nothing else can someone explain to me whats wrong with my truck and how do I fix it thanks.

shorod
01-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Will the gear selector only shift to reverse or is reverse the only gear that works, even though other gears can be selected? Have you checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid?

-Rod

ahigdon03
01-20-2015, 06:11 AM
The other gears can be selected reverse is just the only one that works

shorod
01-20-2015, 07:39 AM
Have you checked to see if your '96 has a dipstick for the transmission and, if so, checked the level and condition of the transmission fluid? Beyond that, you're probably looking at either dropping the transmission pan and performing an inspection yourself or getting the truck to a reputable transmission shop and having them go through it.

If you have a means of testing the fluid pressures at various locations, the service manual offers a procedure for performing pressure tests. I don't yet have my service manuals installed on my new computer to take a look at the procedure though. Let me know if that's something you'd be interested in reading through.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!