Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 LeSabre Fuel Pump

DMolyneaux
08-31-2014, 12:34 PM
I am getting no pressure at the fuel rail. Relay seems to be ok, so I am assuming the pump just failed (in the driveway luckily). Before I drop the fuel tank, I would like to confirm I am getting voltage back to the pump. I cannot fine any wiring in or under the car going to that area! Does ANYONE know how to find that circuit as close to the pump as possible and still accessible without dropping the tank?:banghead:

Tech II
09-01-2014, 09:06 AM
It's there.......may have to jack up the car a little to see it.....I believe it is toward the back of the tank, towards the passenger side.....should be a 4 wire connector....two wires for fuel level(smaller diameter), two wires for pump(larger diameter......I think one will be grey and the other is black or black/white....it will be the larger diameter of the two black wires).....

You want to disconnect the harness, and attach a test light to the half going away from the tank......with it attached to the grey and black wires, turn key to on.....light comes on for 2 seconds....crank vehicle, light is on constant.....

If it doesn't light check each leg for power and ground(grey will be power, black the ground).....

If it does light as tested, and you have no fuel pressure, you need a pump......

Now for the bad news....being an '87, your fuel lines and tank are probably rusted......the bolts to the straps holding the tank up, are probably rusted....so while the pump is cheap, the cost to replace it can have a domino effect if you have all these rust problems....next thing you know, you have to by a sender, new straps, maybe a tank, etc.

Forewarned is forearmed....

Add your comment to this topic!