Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oldie but goodie... Grinding Squealing Brakes.

ChevMali99
07-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I did a search on the forum and found many possible causes for the issue cited on the title, but none actually offered a solution.

Here's my issue, after a full break job my right front brake began to grind. Curiously it wouldn't grind initially after breaking soon after start up. I could go on and slow break for quite a distance, but soon after a hard brake or just slow breaking long enough the grinding begins. I've taken the car back to Firestone three times and even after a few adjustments or cleaning the problem persist... I've starting to feel bad for Firestone and embarrassed to be holding on to this 99 Chevy. I can't continue to drive this small car that sounds like a MTA bus while braking.

But I digress...

I did notice, purely by accident (or it may be a mere coincidence), a few times the ABS light came on and during those periods the grinding was less abrasive. This leads me closer to believing the issue is with the caliper.

Any comments or suggestions?

DeltaP
07-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Or a collapsing hose.

Tech II
07-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Was this noise there before the brake job?

Did they turn the rotors or replace them? What kind of pads did they use?

Does the car pull to the left or right while braking?

ChevMali99
07-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Thank you both... all the hoses appear to be in place and the car does not pull. Firestone would have caught it.

I'm surprised they didn't try to up sell me anything - they didn't offer to do rotors, which as documented here I had cut at another place. This is why I'm considering these possibilities other than a bad break job.

note - I've been driving with the ABS light on for a few hours and 40 miles (I took the relay out), the grinding has drastically reduced.

slls
07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Check for hot rotors, be careful, don't get burned.

Tech II
07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Little confused here.......you had the rotors turned elsewhere......did elsewhere do the whole brake Job? Then why go to Firestone to be checked?

ChevMali99
07-04-2014, 09:02 PM
the whole episode is confusing, when leaving stuff in the editing room floor.

I had a maintenance break job done by STS originally (nothing was wrong with the brakes I just had them intact for 3 years), they suggested I replace the rotors. I declined and had them cut by a side guy. All went well for a week then all hell broke loose and the WOO WOO WOO sound began in the front right. Embarrassed for my stubbornness instead of going to STS, I went to Firestone. There, they did the whole thing over including new rotors. So, as we speak and after three visits to Firestone - who I admit cleaned up my mistake - I'm now dealing with this grinding situation that has been drastically mitigated but not totally fixed by disabling the ABS. The right front brake still grinds but when closer to stopping vs. rolling.

The rotors used to be very hot, now not so much. So what do you say? calipers?

jerryg2112
07-05-2014, 01:02 AM
Is it possible that the grinding you feel is the metallic pads? I remember how my 88 Regal's brakes used to grind with the semi metallic pads. Now there are more ceramic formulas that are quieter. Maybe you went with a metallic pad. That would explain why you didn't feel it until they broke in a little.

Tech II
07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Is it a grinding sound or a woo-woo sound, which might be a wheel bearing......

The other thing is, rotors were turned, then rotors were replaced, and the same sound is there?

Were new pads used? Metallic or ceramic?

ChevMali99
07-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi guys, Thanks all for the replies. I was out of town for a bit, but now I'm back picking up where I left off.

I've narrowed down the conditions triggering the chirps, squeals, grinding brake. It happens when I get on a good stop and go, when I ride the brake regularly, or sudden hard brakes. it remains when I get my foot of the brake. The rotor gets piping hot though I think it's normal. I took the wheel off and noticed the rotor wiggled for a centimeter more or less. I don't see any evidence of metal rubbing against metal, but the sounds remains. I don't know what kind of pads were used. The rotors are new.

ChevMali99
07-21-2014, 01:47 PM
quick note - the invoice says ceramic pads.

AD2BU
08-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Hello, I had a 98 Malibu for many years (~140,000 mis) (bought it new). Sold it when I bought a 2013 Malibu. I had one issue with the right front corner that turned out to be the CV joint. I bought a new axle assembly and popped out the old one and tapped in the new one, which took care of most of the problem, but it turned out the hub bearing was bad and I needed a new hub as well. First hub was bad and had a loud noise when turning or braking. Seemed odd for the hub to cause this, but it did.

You might rough up the rotors with emery cloth and then "bed-in" the brakes by warming them up and accelerating to 40 mph and brake hard (but don't lock up the brakes) until you are ~15 mph. Repeat a few times. Then accelerate to ~50 mph and brake hard down to ~20 mph. Repeat a few times at this speed. Finally, accelerate to ~60 mph and brake hard down to ~20 mph. I do this procedure every time I do a brake job and have had very good luck with my brakes lasting and working well. Note: after you stop, you will smell the brake pads as they will be very hot.

FWIW, IMHO, the 2005 Malibu Maxx (V6) was the best Malibu so far.

Best of luck and post back when you have some new news.

Add your comment to this topic!