Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power windows

steel9512
05-22-2014, 03:39 PM
I have a 1996 buick lasber and the windows on the driver side will not roll down. Front and back. When I push the front window button it clicks but nothing more and when I push the rear window switch nothing happens. Any help would be great I use this car to deliverer mail and it gets really hot inside. Thanks in advance.

Tech II
05-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Then open the windows on the passenger side?

As far as your LR window is concerned, check if the RR window goes down....if it doesn't, then check that the lockout function in the master panel is not depressed...

If RF or RR works, did the other two fail at the same time, or first one, then the other?

If the passenger side works, and the driver's side failed at different times, could have two separate problems......

Since you have a click on the driver's front, you will have to remove the front master switch,,,,,attach a test light to the two wires that go to the LF motor by back probing the harness....with key on, press switch in both directions....if it lights in both directions, bad motor or open one of the wires(rare)...if it lights in only one direction, bad switch....

Remove the switch for the LR door witch....5 wires.....one is hot, two go to the motor, and two come from the master switch.....back probe the two wires in the harness from the master...with key on, operate switch in both directions....should light in both directions...if it does, back probe the two wires going to the motor....if it lights in both directions, bad motor ...if it doesn't, bad switch...

If the the first test failed, then you have to go back to the master and back probe the two wires going to the LR door......if it lights in both, open wire...if it doesn't, bad master switch....

Obviously, you will have to get a schematic to do these tests....

Add your comment to this topic!