Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Have several issues on my 2002 explorer any help please

silverwolfdragon
05-07-2014, 11:08 PM
My truck has grinding noises when i am making turns from a stop or at slow speeds. Also my 4x4 dash light keeps flashing several times both when I am sitting still and when driving. Neither my 4x4 auto or 4x4 high work but the low will work. Any ideas on these would help. Trying to pinpoint where I should look to fix them. I did replace the 4x4 control mod as an attempt to fix this.

shorod
05-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Fortunately I have not had to physically dig in to the 4x4 system on these trucks much, but the grinding noise could be related to the transfer case issues, especially if the grinding noise is actually more of a binding noise. You really should confirm whether or not the front wheels are engaged by the transfer case, meaning your 4WD is locked in even when driving on dry pavement, and therefore causing binding of the front wheels when turning. If so, then you need to determine why the transfer case is not releasing the 4WD. It might be as simple as due to a bad shift motor that is stuck in the 4WD mode.

What primarily brings that in to question though is why 4W Low seems to be functioning properly as I believe that uses the same shift motor....

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!