Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

front subframe fell down?

bobbyjoes
04-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi,my daughter was driving my 1998 buick lesabre,all of a sunden a clunk and she couldnt steer ,lucky she was pulling in driveway,,both sides of subframe broke off and fell down,is that something that can be fixed or junk it,looked in my chilton manual,didnt show this ,just adding other parts to it,thanks

gmtech1
04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
If the subframe actually broke. It will need replaced, obviously. The steering shaft separated when this happened. If it was just the bolts, it may be an easier repair. The subframe can be replaced, just need to support the eng when doing so. What is the overall condition of the car? I'm guessing a used subframe will run in the 200.00 range, you'd need to check on that to be sure. Also the steering shaft will need replaced along with whatever other damaged occurred.

Tech II
04-13-2014, 06:04 PM
If that sub frame rusted out, can only imagine what the rest of the underside looks like.....brake lines, fuel lines, ps lines, transmission lines, suspension components, plus any damage to components that moved when this happened....

bobbyjoes
04-13-2014, 06:23 PM
i will try to get pictures,snow storm right now, thanks so far

maxwedge
04-13-2014, 07:06 PM
If that sub frame rusted out, can only imagine what the rest of the underside looks like.....brake lines, fuel lines, ps lines, transmission lines, suspension components, plus any damage to components that moved when this happened....

Seconded on unibody rust causing this issue, seen it before!

bobbyjoes
04-13-2014, 08:02 PM
so you guys are saying ,if the rest is all rusty junk it ?

bobbyjoes
04-13-2014, 08:03 PM

rkvons
04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
Nobody can tell you that. You just need to figure out what broke and how it looks under there so you can make an informed decision on whether to fix it or not and how safe it is.

maxwedge
04-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Nobody can tell you that. You just need to figure out what broke and how it looks under there so you can make an informed decision on whether to fix it or not and how safe it is. Exactly!!

Blue Bowtie
04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
I had a similar occurrence on a '95 LeSabre. The underbody was in reasonably good condition but the large washers on the underside of the body mount bushings had rotted away. I replaced all of the bushings along with the bolts and washers.

Two years later a steel brake line rusted through, and I replaced several of those.

Surprisingly, after nearly 20 Northern Ill-Noise winters, the painted portion of the floor pan is in decent condition. The less protected parts are certainly showing their age. I can't imagine that Iowa is much different, since the official State Mineral is the same there as here - Salt.

EDIT: Dorman 924-043 is the kit with the bushings, bolt, and retainer (washer).

Tech II
04-14-2014, 09:06 PM
First place to start, is find out what EXACTLY broke......

bobbyjoes
04-14-2014, 09:42 PM
it looks like i had the same problem as blue bowtie,the subframe it self looks pretty good ,just the washers and rubbers were rotten,so that kit from dorman,i would need 4 sets,is this correct?

rkvons
04-15-2014, 01:49 PM
it looks like i had the same problem as blue bowtie,the subframe it self looks pretty good ,just the washers and rubbers were rotten,so that kit from dorman,i would need 4 sets,is this correct?
You need to make sure. Front and rears may be different.

Tech II
04-15-2014, 03:28 PM
This is the picture from GMPartsDirect:

http://www.trademotion.com/media/images/oe/collision/A/AA97115.gif

Blue Bowtie
04-15-2014, 08:23 PM
IF you intend to repair it, penetrating oil will be your best friend. Start soaking the bolts now. Apply penetrating oil to the bolts, and try to get it up onto the threads - With the washer missing it should be easier. For those positions where the washer(s) may interfere with access to the threads, the carpet may be pulled back to access two of the bolt holes, and the rest should be accessible from under the vehicle with a little twisting and contorting.

Apply penetrating oil early and often, like every day. If you get the replacement parts in a few days, that should be about the right time to try to remove the bolts.

It may also be necessary to use heat to break the fused threads. Use caution, and be prepared with an extinguisher and/or water hose.

Replace one set at a time if you can, but wait until all are in place before tightening to final torque.

Add your comment to this topic!