Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advice for starter tech tool sets

Jdolan410
02-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Im in a auto tech school now and don't have many tools. Im looking to start my career and was wondering what are the main tools (besides ratchets sockets and wrenches). I was also hoping to get some suggestions on different brands. Thank you!

MagicRat
02-27-2014, 09:09 AM
A decent air impact wrench and impact-grade sockets, air ratchet,air chisel and bits, angle grinder, ball-peen hammer, feeler gauges, spark plug gapping tool, Allan keys, (both standard and metric), Torx sockets, Torx screwdrivers, a Phillips and regular screwdriver set. Long 1/2 inch Johnson bar. Cold chisels and prybars, both in several sizes. Small steel ruler, vernier calipers, digital multimeter, 12 volt test light. Pin punch, drifts. Gasket scraper, Chanell-loc pliers, needlenose pliers, slipjoint pliers, linesman pliers, Vice-Grips, tire pressure gauge and air chuck for filling tires,
Brake work goes much easier with some specialized tools, sometimes these can be purchased in a brake-tool set. Front end work often requires large and small pickle forks,small sledge hammer, tie-rod pullers, ball joint press. Grease gun

Safety glasses and headphone-style hearing protection.

Finally, collecting mechanics tools is an ongoing process. Over the years, I have picked up all kinds of specialized additional tools as needed, such as distributor wrenches, battery load-tester, vacuum and pressure gauges, welders etc. I may only use these things a few times a year, but they are invaluable when needed.

Add your comment to this topic!