Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Iat

baldie1369
01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
The colder it gets the harder it takes to start my 2000 Ford Explorer.
have read that it's the Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Does my explorer
have such a thing?

shorod
01-14-2014, 06:41 AM
You don't mention which engine your Explorer has, but I think in 2000 they all had the IAT function built in to the MAF sensor.

Be careful before just replacing the $100 or MAF sensor, very few codes state that a particular sensor IS the problem, but rather report which sensor readings are outside an expected range. This does not always equate to the sensor being the issue.

-Rod

baldie1369
02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
didn't get much response from last post.. 2000 ford exploder
4.0 got really cold here in va and didn't want to start it's starting to warm up SUV is easier to start.. WHY?

shorod
02-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Didn't get much info to go by either. What code were you/are you getting (specific code number, such as P0170)? Does it just crank slowly, or does it crank quickly, just had to crank a long time before it starts? When is the last time the spark plugs were checked? Have you checked fuel pressure? Do you have a scan tool that you can monitor the engine coolant temperature with? Can you see what the IAT sensor reading is when the engine is cold?

There are multiple different ways that a vehicle can be "hard to start" and multiple reasons for each symptom. I haven't heard anyone here claim to have a crystal ball, so we'll need more details to provide a useful response. I should have listed out some of these questions in my prior response.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!