Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny, or something else?

Tinkerin_wit_tools
01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I have read through the forums and researched online with many different answers to what I may or may not have in my 1994 Buick LeSabre. Months ago, a unique code came up for a TCC failure. Odd, but cleared it and moved on with life. I did have a rebuilt engine put in my baby back in October and it took an extra day for my mechanic because he said it was being a bear when attaching it to the tranny.
Anyway, the past few weeks, I have had an even stranger thing happen.
While driving, the car stalls, no engine light, just the oil, temp, and battery icon illuminated on the dash. Mechanic said that it could be anything, possibly a relay heating up and this is what the engine does before it overheats. Well, I did find one post stating that this problem happens in my make and model and it is one of three things: ignition, fuel pump, or the crankshaft position sensor. I have tested the fuel pressure, and it is within specs. If the ignition plate (sorry, the name escapes me presently) that the coil packs sit on does overheat, but was told that if this was the problem, the car would NOT start up right away. It needs time to cool down, but the car does start back up. I do get conflicting stories from mechanics that I call and since that code came up some time ago, one that works on transmissions said that one problem isn't involved in the other. My local parts shops do not have the balancer removal tool to lend, and I don't want to pay 100 bucks to buy it online. Should I replace the crankshaft position sensor, or should I say, have it replaced at a local shop? Any responses would be highly appreciated, esp from those who have diagnosed and fixed this issue in the past with my make/model. :naughty:

maxwedge
01-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Almost impossible to properly advise you from here, 1st when it stalls does it start right back up? Many things can cause this, bad iac, crank sensor & icm ( these are heat related failures). , bad egr valve. A cheap puller set with the right size metric bolts will suffice to get the balancer off, but that is guesswork.

Tinkerin_wit_tools
01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Almost impossible to properly advise you from here, 1st when it stalls does it start right back up? Many things can cause this, bad iac, crank sensor & icm ( these are heat related failures). , bad egr valve. A cheap puller set with the right size metric bolts will suffice to get the balancer off, but that is guesswork.

Well, I decided to take it to a shop and have the camshaft position sensor replaced. It does run slightly better, but too early to tell. When the tech came in to hand me the keys, he did mention that there were some small metal shavings in the crevices of the sensor that "may have" contributed to the issue. We shall see within the next couple of weeks if it dies or not. Within a two week period, I would say that it happened a total of four times, so this will be a good indicator. Thanks for the reply.

Tech II
01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
"When the tech came in to hand me the keys, he did mention that there were some small metal shavings in the crevices of the sensor that "may have" contributed to the issue."

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone actually said that? What crevices? The sensor is buried in the front cover......

If there is a cam sensor problem, a code 41 is usually set.....

maxwedge
01-13-2014, 08:44 PM
The cam sensor can cause hard starting but not stalling as rule.

Add your comment to this topic!