Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing Front Seatbelt

happydog500
01-08-2014, 02:42 AM
I need to replace my front seat belt. I remember years a go I saw a car with the plastic door post cover taken off. I saw the top and bottom held on by a bolt.
Before I tear off the plastic that runs down the post, will it break anything? Can I just get in and pry the plastic off?
What else do I need to know about replacing a front seat belt?

Thank you,
Chris.

Tech II
01-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Basically, at the top of the belt where it goes though the loop, pry the cover off the loop....this gives you access to the 50 torx bolt....remove it......now starting with the top piece, carefully pry out the christmas tree fasteners......then the bottom half......there is another 50 torx bolt holding the retravtor to the "B" pillar....

happydog500
01-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Basically, at the top of the belt where it goes though the loop, pry the cover off the loop....this gives you access to the 50 torx bolt....remove it......now starting with the top piece, carefully pry out the christmas tree fasteners......then the bottom half......there is another 50 torx bolt holding the retravtor to the "B" pillar....

What is the "christmas tree fasteners?"

Chris.

happydog500
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Got back from across the state (wanted to get the same color) in a snow storm.
I spent the day (torx bolt was hard to get off) replacing the belt. After all this, the seat-belt tab doesn't fit in the buckle.
It was a few years older car, everything looked the same. I went from having a barely working, torn up seat-belt, to none at all.
This project was harder then it should of been, a real hassle. Now I don't have a seat-belt.

Chris.

Ralph50
02-01-2014, 07:24 PM
I actually am an engineer for a seating company for automotive, my best advice.
Dont know about plastics but make sure you use the same bolts that came with original seat and torq them to correct torque.

Add your comment to this topic!