Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Strut mount bushing/bearing replacement..help

angiehunter75
11-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Hello..we have a 1989 Buick LeSabre Limited 3.8lt:ylsuper: Yes, thats right..1989! lol
I checked other threads on this, but all wrong make/model year, so i have to post.

Just had CV axles replaced, & allignment
Was told tierod ends are worn..we can replace them easilly ouselves.
Issue is allignment shop told us strut mount bushing/bearings are worn & should be replaced..car has just over 300k on it, but was a free car & runs awesome,body solid & we know original owner & car was miticulously maintained.
We will be replacing strut mounts in spring, once snow is gone.

Is this an easy enough job for us do-it-youselfers? My hubby & I are mechanically minded, can do almost anything, have lotsa tools, manuals etc.
Has anyone ever replaced these? If so, what are some tricks/ideas..possible issues etc??:dunno:

The strut towers (under the hood/inner fenders) are immaculate, no rust etc.
Assuming we'd have to get another allignment once replaced?
Any thoughts/pointers GREATLY appreciated:grinno:

gmtech1
11-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Hello..we have a 1989 Buick LeSabre Limited 3.8lt:ylsuper: Yes, thats right..1989! lol
I checked other threads on this, but all wrong make/model year, so i have to post.

Just had CV axles replaced, & allignment
Was told tierod ends are worn..we can replace them easilly ouselves.
Issue is allignment shop told us strut mount bushing/bearings are worn & should be replaced..car has just over 300k on it, but was a free car & runs awesome,body solid & we know original owner & car was miticulously maintained.
We will be replacing strut mounts in spring, once snow is gone.

Is this an easy enough job for us do-it-youselfers? My hubby & I are mechanically minded, can do almost anything, have lotsa tools, manuals etc.
Has anyone ever replaced these? If so, what are some tricks/ideas..possible issues etc??:dunno:

The strut towers (under the hood/inner fenders) are immaculate, no rust etc.
Assuming we'd have to get another allignment once replaced?
Any thoughts/pointers GREATLY appreciated:grinno:

Yes, a alignment will be needed. Unless you have a strut compressor for the spring, I would not recommend trying it for safety reason. You can purchase "quick struts", which are complete strut assemblies. They come with springs and mounts, the whole ball of wax. Just take the old one off and put the new one in, done. Then get it aligned and off you go!

My local parts store shows a Monroe strut assembly, complete, for 189.99.

angiehunter75
11-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Yes, a alignment will be needed. Unless you have a strut compressor for the spring, I would not recommend trying it for safety reason. You can purchase "quick struts", which are complete strut assemblies. They come with springs and mounts, the whole ball of wax. Just take the old one off and put the new one in, done. Then get it aligned and off you go!

My local parts store shows a Monroe strut assembly, complete, for 189.99.

Thx..will def look into that, considering just for mount bushing/bearing..lookin at $150 each side!! may as well spend cpl xtra $ & save the headache..we in Canada, so have Lordco, Napa & Canadian tire..will call around:iceslolan

imidazol97
11-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Thx..will def look into that, considering just for mount bushing/bearing..lookin at $150 each side!! may as well spend cpl xtra $ & save the headache..we in Canada, so have Lordco, Napa & Canadian tire..will call around:iceslolan

Are you able to buy from Rockauto.com? I find using their pricing for various parts, like bushing and bearing is a big help to knowing what's there.

Replacing the bearing/bushing does require using the spring compressor. Those are holding a lot of power if you do something wrong while holding the spring compressed to put the new bushing/bearing in place.

On the other hand people have commented about the ride height and the number of coils of the replacement quickstruts not being the same.

If the struts have not been replaced on your car for 40-50K miles, you'll notice a lot of difference with new struts. I used the Monroe Sensatrac replacement and compressed the spring. I had backup if I had trouble: one neighbor is a repairman for diesel over-the-road trucks and another neighbor has air guns and larger size tools. We had trouble getting the two bolts holding the strut to the suspension part. We had to use the air gun to run the bolts on the spring compressors because they require so many turns. Of you have someone at a local garage willing to do the replacement labor while you bought the parts from Rockauto, e.g., that might work best in the long run.

I don't believe the rear struts require removing the spring for replacement. I haven't done rear, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

enslow
11-14-2013, 09:33 AM
If you live near the border, set up a parcel drop in the US. You will find shipping from Rockauto to across the border to your door will be costly. Shipping to a US address is much cheaper.

Quickstruts and other aftermarket struts use a spring with fewer coils which can make the ride harsher than stock. If you wish something closer to stock, ACDelco makes one and is sold through Rockauto.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Add your comment to this topic!