Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First Tamiya Model LanEvo Vll WRC

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:31 AM
Hi. This is my first model and first post.
I've done model cars when i was a kid, but i never used paint and stuff so they always ended up like a plastic car. But after I got paint as a gift many years later I started doing Gundams and slowly converted to cars. I've got a bunch of Celicas sitting here now (Tamiya Gens 4, 6, and 7) and I'm scared cuz looking at some of you guys on here really intimadates me.

Well enough chatter. Bring on the critizim..

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:33 AM
oops.. 30 sec rule...

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm gonna say... that CD back there is not mine but my sisters...

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:34 AM
yet another

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:35 AM
I've got quite a problem with orange peel
and I've read sanding with 1200 grit paper and compound can take it out

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:36 AM
one more.
this is last one

bigfrit
06-18-2003, 01:36 AM
:wave: :wave:
welcome!
I think it's a rather nice looking model you 've got there, only remarks I would have is to detail your wheels (paint lug-nuts) and to polish your body before putting on decals (I assume you don't clear coat). also the back right wheel seems to be standing a bit crooked.

Just my two cents, in the whole a very nice model!
Like it !
Olivier

Michael Schumacher
06-18-2003, 01:39 AM
Good job for your first model, keep up the good work.
And Welcome :wave:

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by bigfrit
:wave: :wave:
welcome!
I think it's a rather nice looking model you 've got there, only remarks I would have is to detail your wheels (paint lug-nuts) and to polish your body before putting on decals (I assume you don't clear coat). also the back right wheel seems to be standing a bit crooked.

Just my two cents, in the whole a very nice model!
Like it !
Olivier

Poor camera = poor quality pictures
It's hard to find a smaller brush so the lug nuts are not "in place"

So for the decals is it
Compound, Polish, Decal, Clear Coat
In that order?

crismag
06-18-2003, 01:52 AM
hi welcome to af :) nice looking model for your first :) keep it up and always stay tuned here coz youll learn loads of tips and techniques :)

ljrlude01
06-18-2003, 02:00 AM
for your first time that's great... :bigthumb:

Kaimenship
06-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by crismag
hi welcome to af :) nice looking model for your first :) keep it up and always stay tuned here coz youll learn loads of tips and techniques :)

Ya. I used the "scotch tape" trick for the door trimmings, but I guess it wasn't tamiya modeling tape cuz the paint soaked through and I had to finger nail poished the black paint off.

I plan to buy a second hand microwave and do the "paint can in warm water" trick before painting the body cuz i get a mad case of bubbles and orange peel

ljrlude01
06-18-2003, 02:25 AM
tamiya tape will soaked through if you don't do it right too, happen to me the first time i did it on my R34.

chipanggo
06-18-2003, 03:27 AM
not bad for your first try... :bigthumb:

doraemon
06-18-2003, 04:06 AM
yes, for the first try... is good, I had the same problem with the paint like you, no orange peel... but... rough paint, and yes, you can arrange it with a better mix of paint and solvent for the next time, try to paint with hot day, not a weet day, and... if you still have orange peel again... yes!! sand it , sand it again and again, till you take of the orange peel, you must left the paint totally "flat", I dont know how to say it in english, and paint again, and.. for better tips, and better explained, try the search option, there are really good tips on how to paint here, try them!!

I want to see your next project, try what I've told you, and youll see :bigthumb:

Marco_Wrc
06-18-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by crismag

I fully agree with that. You can learn a lot here.
And ofcourse, welcome. :smile:

exhaust smoke
06-18-2003, 05:15 AM
WELCOME:wave:

No need to be intimidated, you've done a good job on that Evo VII.

Martbee
06-18-2003, 06:03 AM
Ex. Somke is absolutely right... no intimidation here... you should see my crapy debut... your's a lot better. So go on and make another one until you're absolutely adicted: like us ! :biggrin:

nervestrikes
06-18-2003, 07:31 AM
That looks pretty darn awesome to be you first car kit. My first one was really really bad including sanding of parting lines, paint job, and even the gluing was pretty terrible, but as you will find with life itself things do eventually get better then you die. Seriously though great job and welcome to AF; I hope you learn as much every day here as I do.

OZracing
06-18-2003, 09:07 AM
you did a great job on this baby...lolx...how i hope my first model is half as good as you...seriously its very nice for a first model...carry on the good job...:biggrin: :bigthumb:

The Lambrusco Kid
06-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by bigfrit
also the back right wheel seems to be standing a bit crooked.

Isn't that camber?

Add your comment to this topic!