Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How Long Does It Take For The EGR Valve Light To Go Off?

happydog500
10-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Years a go, I had a CEL. The light was for a TPS. I replaced the Sensor and the light went off.

A couple days a go, I got a EGR light. I took it off and saw the plunger was stuck. I cleaned it and made it so the plunger moves freely.
The light is still on. I found on some things the light goes out after a certain number of "cycles."

Is the "Cycles" a certain number of starts? Time driving? What is it and how long will it take for it to go off?

Thank you,
Chris.

aleekat
10-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Some cars. Pull your negative battery cable. step on the brakes for about a minute...then reconnect..

tken35
10-30-2013, 11:29 PM
I am wondering if either one could elaborate of this problem. The check engine light comes on and off during various times for no apparent reason.

happydog500
10-31-2013, 01:38 AM
I am wondering if either one could elaborate of this problem. The check engine light comes on and off during various times for no apparent reason.

There is a reason for the light coming on. When it comes on, it's recording a fault. It goes off when it's not a problem, but it's recorded in the computer.

Chris.

autojoe
10-31-2013, 02:37 PM
The PCM will turn the MIL OFF during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Into function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.

happydog500
10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
It went off about the 3rd trip.

Thank you,
Chris.

Add your comment to this topic!