Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ohakia Speed Trials

^GaLRaCa^
11-10-2001, 11:30 PM
Just a reminder to those who are coming down to Ohakia:

Kenny, Hayden, Tim, Jon, Greg, Felix and myself. We will be meeting up at the BP just after Papakura (Solar Powered) at 1pm on Friday 16 November. We will be staying in Palmerston North on Friday night (Cheap place!) and possibly coming hom on Saturday afternoon after the racing. If anyone else is coming down and hasnt let me know then we will see you there!

Those who are keen to come down (7 hours)! and watch and support those racing but dont want to take their cars, please email me as soon as possible, as at this stage there are approx 6 seats spare in three cars!
vtec91@hotmail.com

Those who are coming to spectate perhaps from Wellington and have not let me know, I need to know Rego's of the cars coming in as only a certain number will be allowed on the base. Please email me ASAP!

Thanks!!

mrmeal
11-11-2001, 01:57 PM
hey guys, I'm taking my car down at this stage with Tim riding shotgun. At this stage I may have a rear seat passenger, which I probably only want one of so they have some sort of room, if any :-)

Besides, my exhaust can be a tad on the drony side, so 7 hours sitting directly above my exhaust might scar you for life! :bloated: I'm thinking I might pop down to protector safety and pick up some ear muffs for the journey.....

zapf
11-12-2001, 07:01 AM
Just some update, I might be on a seprate plan and leave later on Friday and be staying in Taupo for Friday night. After the Speed Trial I'll be heading down to Wellington for a exciting evening out to the Clubs. Staying Sat night and possibly spending Sunday in Wellington. And cruise back on Sunday night or Monday.

I am basiclly making a trip out of this event. Will be interested to know who will be keen to party Sat night at Wellington. send me a PM.

Cheers
Zapf

V8eta
11-14-2001, 03:37 AM
What time is everyone else from wellington leaving?
Meet at plimmerton as usual?

zapf
11-15-2001, 08:18 AM
Ahhhhhh F@$%#@ My wastegate is not working! I can't hold even 0.6 bar boost !~ If I can't get this fixed tomorrow I don't think I'll be heading down...

Dammit!

Zapf

Dak
11-15-2001, 04:31 PM
Just got an E-Mail through confirming it is going ahead for Saturday, not a good idea in my books, the weather here is absolute crap and doesn't look like improving till Sunday.

GodzJr
11-15-2001, 06:03 PM
What a real pity... oh, and if any of us is missing a screw from early this morning, my left rear tyre found it. Had to go fix the puncture this morning har har.. The other bad news is how much tread I have left..

Originally posted by zapf
Ahhhhhh F@$%#@ My wastegate is not working! I can't hold even 0.6 bar boost !~ If I can't get this fixed tomorrow I don't think I'll be heading down...

Dammit!

Zapf

SDUCentral
11-15-2001, 10:42 PM
Hmm, the weather could end up being an issue BUT dont forget the Whittakers Classic meeting is on at Manfield over the weekend too so even if Ohakea is postponed there should be some good viewing about 20 minutes away :)

Ray

zapf
11-15-2001, 11:03 PM
Car is fixed who is going down on Sat morning? Like leaving 3am Sat to go down. Cause I think I'll do that. Makes for a speedier trip as well. No point paying for a bed if I'll get there at 12 midnite...

call ME 029 241 0185

Zapf

Dak
11-17-2001, 01:29 AM
Well all in all not a bad day, there was a Lamborghini there that had a few drooling, boy did it sound horny flying past at full noise, Mark, R33 GTR V-Spec had a bit of bad luck though I think, big smoke cloud at the end of a run, didn't catch up with him to see what happened but hopefully it wasn't to major.

GTS-4 Ben
11-17-2001, 11:03 PM
SPEEDS? :D

koschakm
11-18-2001, 10:47 PM
It was a good day weatherwise after a shaky start. Unfortunately the speed run wasn't long enough to get top end speeds. We only had the secondary runway, a maximum distance of 1.7kms. I'm not sure if that included the braking area. The Diablo did a number of runs. When I last looked at the records, the Diablo's top speed was 245kmh with not too many cars far off that. No doubt some information will be forthcoming from GGON soon. I had a couple of practice runs to get the feel for the distance and braking requirements before putting in my "official" run at 237kmh. Apparently the car sounded good until it lost no. 6 cylinder thus destroying any opportunity to better that speed!

I think the damage occurred when I hit the brakes with heavy braking causing oil to surge to the front of the engine leaving no. 6 cylinder without oil. I hope it's just a ring! Anyway, talk about oil everywhere! If that was teh cause, I can only endorse a fellow GTR owner's recommendation to install sump baffles after a similar and expensive experience.

A big thanks to Felix, Tony, Rhys and co for your support on the day. Very much appreciated by a "non mechanic".

I struggled 200 odd kms to Taupo using 8 litres of oil in the process and polluting the atmosphere with a big cloud of smoke behind me. Not a good look! Anyway, once in Taupo I organised a car transporter to take the car to Advanced Imports in Auckland and grabbed a lift home with Shane (GTRMAD) who stopped at the same service station in Taupo. Great timing. Thanks Shane!!

The car should hopefully arrive by Tuesday. I await the verdict and quote for repairs with some trepidation.

Mark
V SPEC

Brenhan
11-18-2001, 10:58 PM
Bugger , whether it ran out of oil or went lean I guess you will find it out soon enough , #6 cylinder is the one that is first to give trouble , Bretts car did a ring land on the #6 piston most likely because of detonation , but it had a pretty good innings , that car would have dragraced 5 times more than any other GTR in NZ I think. With the oil problems I had with my car I doubt it will last too long either. ( I pulled it apart within 24 hours and have not driven it since.
I hope you have a nice bank manager Mark.
Brenhan.

kai
11-18-2001, 11:40 PM
Bummer Mark....I know how you feel, join the club theres me, joe, shane that I know of who have all done the same thing.

Make sure you do a lot of research before deciding what to do....talk to the guys who have already blown theirs and rebuilt them.....shanes feels nice, joes looks quick. You want to get the best for your money because its not cheap.....and combinations are important.

Best advice shop around talk to as many people as possible and look at cars that have already been done....theres the odd one around :)

SDUCentral
11-19-2001, 12:51 AM
Yeah...definite hard luck there Mark.

Judging by the amount of oil sitting on that number 6 piston I couldnt imagine it ever returning to full health without some serious surgery.

Nonetheless it looked and sounded bloody impressive as did the other SDU cars present.

Nice meeting some of you Auckland folk too...always good to put names to faces.

Ray

zapf
11-19-2001, 06:04 AM
Has anyone got photos or video's of the burn outs? If so please post them to me.

Also why does this oil surge problem only happens to GTR's?

Cheers
Zapf

Anguss R33
11-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Hmmm, missed the burnouts. bugger!
Nice meeting some of you's, was a really good day and glad to see the weather improving considering it rained when we got there! :licker:

Regards
Anguss R33.

koschakm
11-19-2001, 01:00 PM
Thanks Brenhan, Brett and Ray for your help.

Brett, I will certainly be considering my options and getting quotes. Anyway, depending on the cost, I might just park it up until I can afford to repair it. I'm maxed out with debt at the moment and would prefer not to get deeper into the hole!

Brenhan, I hope your problems are easily and inexpensively dealt with.

Ray, it was great to catch up with you on Saturday. Thank you very much for your efforts in getting the coil cover off to check that no. 6 cylinder to confirm my fears.

I will be in Wellington over Christmas where I hope to catch up with your fellow SDU members. I don't know if anything has been arranged yet regarding a meeting place, time and date.

Mark
V SPEC

moondog
11-19-2001, 01:36 PM
bugger bugger bugger!! Real sorry to hear that, Mark! Hope it works out ok. :(

zapf
11-19-2001, 03:24 PM
Mark,
When you found out what needed to be replaced let me (us) know. I might be able to hook you up with those cosworth pistons.... :) Or if you decide to go for a standand set of rings.

All,
Would Heel Toe, Rev match down shifting with Engine braking while braking have helped? Since it keeps the engine spinning and oil pump turning.

And would running a thicker oil have helped?

Zapf

SDUCentral
11-19-2001, 03:36 PM
I cant imagine that heel n toe would've done much in this case.
Basically the thing erupted within about a second of Mark backing off.

Im actually thinking the damage might well have been done early in the run rather than at the braking point. Looking under the bonnett there was a shitload of oil that had been blown out under considerable pressure....more likely to have occurred under full throttle conditions.

Either way...it happened and now its gotta be fixed.

Lets know what you end up doing Mark....dont want to see the beasty off the road for too long so if Ive got any spares down here that you need we can work out a deal.

Ray

kennydead
11-19-2001, 06:07 PM
uhm......as far as my knowledge or driving skills. heel and toe is a very good technic to use to upset the rear end and the car will step out and start drifting. (i did a few times in my skyline, which works quite well in the wet, especially car with not much power)

using it in other way, i dont know how it will work. but i have seen a lot of circuit racer used the same technic.

zapf
11-19-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by kennydead
uhm......as far as my knowledge or driving skills. heel and toe is a very good technic to use to upset the rear end and the car will step out and start drifting. (i did a few times in my skyline, which works quite well in the wet, especially car with not much power)

using it in other way, i dont know how it will work. but i have seen a lot of circuit racer used the same technic.

Really? :p I use it to keep my car stable with engine braking as well as braking hard with the brakes. As well as to stop quicker... :flash:

kai
11-19-2001, 06:17 PM
dont give us that crap about heal toe changes dude....we all know you just got your foot caught behind the pedal....anyway isnt your car an auto???

zapf
11-19-2001, 06:23 PM
Doch!... how did you found out about my sticky sixth toe? Ahhhh... busted. :silly2:

Add your comment to this topic!