Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New tires for 94 LeSabre

Rhodesplyr
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
I need to get new tires on my '94 LeSabre. I've been running Yokohama Avid TRZ 215/60R16 on it for several years and have been very happy with them, but they've been phased out and replaced with the Avid Ascend series.

Anyone tried the Ascends on a Buick? Reviews on them seem mixed, but the reviews for them seem to be better for larger, heavier cars vs. lighter, sportier cars.

Blue Bowtie
10-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Michelins on mine. Great mileage, great winter traction, a little noisy on the highway, but it looks like they're still going to have tread as they approach 60K miles. I'd do them again, too.

enslow
10-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Maybe it's just me and my family, but every Michiln we've had was fantastic for the first 6 months, then would turn into the scariest slipperiest tire. My sister had the exact same experience. We're not aggressive drivers either.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

imidazol97
10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I would pick Michelin Defender for my replacements. In fact, I will as we get closer to winter be replacing the Harmony Michelins on my 03 leSabre with 95000 miles on them and about 5/32 tread left with Defenders while the $70 rebate on 4 tires is in effect.

The Harmony is being replaced by the Defender and I found the partly worn Harmony tires were very effective on light icing and snow coming home from Michigan a few years ago after they had been on the car a couple of years and worn in. Other cars were sliding off the glazing forming on I75 south of Toledo causing backups. Hours later we were pushing through a couple inches of snow on top and staying in with the best of them. I have not found them to be slippery on water or snow. In fact, they felt better than the X-Ones that had been on my other, older leSabre with the sticky tread compound for icing grip.

A poster had mentioned slickness. I can only see that if pavement with oil drops on it after periods without rain first is hit with rain. And all tires would suffer the slickness till the oil is washed away. There are other tires that are much stickier but are meant for performance driving and high wear rates to provide the stickiness.

I did put Defenders on my 08 Cobalt in May. My son has that car at college. I wanted the best grip in ice and snow or rain if he had to drive in it this year to get home or around Columbus. The original Hankook tires had hardened but stayed very round. They were showing dry rot crazing but had 60% tread left at 45000 miles.

Good luck and I hope you find a tire that suits your needs.

Add your comment to this topic!