Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 ford explorer knocking sound

philyoung_lionsfan
09-28-2013, 01:45 AM
I just replaced the cv joint, the wheel bearings, and the tie rod end on my passenger front side hoping this would fix the problem. It fixed some of the issues but while driving straight when I go over bumps there is a muffled knocking sound coming from that area and my steering becomes loose and jerky. I'm just learning how to work on my cars on my own any suggestions?

shorod
09-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the forum!

The steering feel may just be due to the larger tires versus a passenger car, I'm not sure I'd worry much about that yet. I'm assuming when you replaced the other front end components the rest of the front end was inspected for looseness and none found, correct?

The muffled knocking sound you are hearing could very easily be due to worn anti-sway bar bushings. They are not expensive and are pretty easy to replace.

-Rod

philyoung_lionsfan
09-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Well someone suggestion the ball joints. Does this sound possible?

philyoung_lionsfan
09-29-2013, 01:15 AM
The steering issue happens when I hit bumps at the same time I hear the knocking. I hit a bump and the steering wheel just feels squirrly and loose almost like I'm gonna loose control. I've been driving this vehicle for awhile so I don't think it's just a difference I'm noticing in tire size.

shorod
09-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Ball joints are possible. However, I would expect that when the tie rod ends were diagnosed and replaced, all the rest of the steering components would have been checked for looseness as well. If a ball joint were failing, it should have been found at that time as well (assuming all these repairs you listed were performed recently).

Our minds are great at playing tricks on us. We hear a noise that sounds like something is loose and our minds sometimes try to convince us that something feels loose as well.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!