Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

08 jk soft top.problem

imakedacookies
09-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I just got an 08 jk last january. Recently I noticed that the road noise was getting a lot worse. I looked over the soft top and noticed that above the passenger door it looks like the top is coming off. I tried to make it clamp on tighter from the inside to see if that would help but no luck. It looks like the canvas is seperating from the soft top frame. This is my first jeep so I don't really know what's happening but all I know is the wind and road noise has doubled since I got it. Any info on what might be happening and if its repairable would be appreciated.

fredjacksonsan
09-22-2013, 01:23 PM
I haven't owned that model year...but

Check your owner's manual where it shows how to reinstall the soft top. I'm guessing that you had it down over the summer? If so, there may be an insert above the psgr door that isn't correctly installed; that's what I would check first.

If that doesn't work, you said it's separating....is it a seam in the fabric of the top itself, like the stitching in the top id coming out? If you have some pictures to show the area that would be a great help to diagnose it.

imakedacookies
09-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I ended up taking it to a shop that does a lot of work on jeeps. He said the soft top frame is bent which is why the soft top was tearing. Looks like its all gotta be replaced.

AngryRedBird
03-08-2015, 05:07 PM
It's unclear what area you're referring to. Typically the soft top is fascinated at the rear of the jeep.. with screws mounted into the soft top frame.. while the sides have plastic tabs which are placed into the door surround.. If this top is not the correct match to the door surrounds or vice versa.. the top will not fit correctly. Seeing how you purchased this jeep used.. I have a feeling that it was upgraded to a different softop then converted back to an alternate top before trading it in.. There could even be the possibility that your jeep was fitted with a hard top at one time thus removing the hard top leaving all the components intact and retrofitting a soft top.. So, one can see how confusing this could be if one don't have the correct top with the correct surrounds.

Add your comment to this topic!