Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant flush, overheat

cntrchfrk
08-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone. I've been Mia for a while-
Please help!

2.5 months ago I had a coolant flush in my 2007 explorer Eddie Bauer.
The last 3 days last week the temp gauge went from the middle where it usually sits, to maxed out in the red. Stays there for about 45 secs and then drops back down.

Is it coincidence that I had a flush and maybe they didn't fill it all the way back up or is it somthing else ?

One other thing- even when it sits in the middle of the gauge I can sometimes hear the engine sucking in air like a vacuum so I guess at certain times its running hot but just doesn't raise the gauge just yet.

Thank you all in advance.

shorod
08-25-2013, 10:13 PM
The way the gauge is acting is indicative of an air pocket in the cooling system. Since the system was recently flushed, there's a very good chance that you have air trapped in the system.

I'm not sure if your 2007 Explorer has an air purge valve for the cooling system. If not, you might try putting the pressure cap on the first notch (versus all the way installed), then start the engine and run it up to temperature. When up to temp, carefully remove the pressure cap (which isn't allowing pressure to build up in this position), have someone increase the engine speed and hold it there, top the system off with anti-freeze/coolant, and reinstall the cap, this time completely. Once the cap is installed, let the engine return to idle.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!