Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

key relearn issue

back2life
07-06-2013, 12:35 AM
i tried to do a key relearn for a guy that had left his igniton in run mode listening to radio for a long time then i guess his security kicked in and car wouldnt start. 2002 buick lesabre....ive done the procedure plenty of time before but this stumped me an wasted a lot of time. the first time it never stopped flashin in 10 minutes like its supposed to and i waited 40 min before starting procedure over. 2nd time was 20 min and the last time was 1 hr!! and it never stopped flashin. once u go into mode it usually take 10-15 minutes before light cuts off. is the reader round key bad or what?

Tech II
07-06-2013, 08:05 AM
i tried to do a key relearn for a guy that had left his igniton in run mode listening to radio for a long time then i guess his security kicked in and car wouldnt start. 2002 buick lesabre....

I have never heard of this being a reason for the key to have to be relearned......

ive done the procedure plenty of time before but this stumped me an wasted a lot of time. the first time it never stopped flashin in 10 minutes like its supposed to and i waited 40 min before starting procedure over. 2nd time was 20 min and the last time was 1 hr!! and it never stopped flashin.

The probable reason that light is flashing is because a code is set...it's not relearning anything, because it never lost it, but there is a definite problem with the SECURITY system, due to the fact that it is continually flashing.....

once u go into mode it usually take 10-15 minutes before light cuts off. is the reader round key bad or what?

With a code set you are not in relearn mode....get the code read.....try clearing the code....if the code does not clear, then you will have to follow the trouble tree for the code, to diagnose....if it does clear, then just try to start the car.....

This may be a "B" code.....not all scan tools/code readers can read "B" codes....

jacksonlima
07-06-2013, 08:17 AM
owing information to the HMA Parts Call Center.
• VIN
• Key Code
• Dealer Code
• Dealer Address (exact shipping address)
• Dealer Contact (exact name of who the key should be delivered to)
• Contact Phone Number and Extension
3. The HMA PDC will expedite the shipping of the key(s) to the dealership address as provided in step 2.
4. Once the dealership has taken delivery of the key(s), the key(s) must be programmed to the vehicle using a Hi-Scan P…

back2life
07-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Yeh i figured that also tech but i just was goin by what they told me. I will try to get my cuzns Tech 2 scanner an look at it... I only got a actron one. Thanks guys

jacksonlima
08-09-2013, 02:07 AM
The purpose of the Relearn procedure is to allow the components to share and learn the password that is used between the control modules to allow authorized engine start-up. In order for the proper amount of time to elapse for this to happen, the systems (http://www.choiceautorepairaz.com)use the security indicator lamp on the instrument cluster to indicate whether the modules are communicating or not.

Tech II
08-09-2013, 05:48 AM
I am assuming this is PK3(no resistor pellet on key)....

Like I said, I have never heard of a key having to be relearned, just because his battery went dead....you never have to do a relearn when you disconnect or change a battery.....the fact that SECURITY light is flashing means there is a code set...get it read, and go from there....

Add your comment to this topic!