Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Taurus cruise not working

cortervette
05-15-2013, 12:42 PM
I have a 2004 Ford Taurus which the cruise control is not working. It did work previously.
When you press the on button the system comes on. The light in the dash glows. But when you try to set the speed nothing happens. My family has tried several times to engage the cruise control. Still not working.
Any ideas?:cwm27:

shorod
05-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Your 2004 might be different from what I'm used to with Fords so I'll ask a few questions. It sounds like when you press the On button for the cruise you're getting an indication on the dash. Then when you press "Set" nothing is happening but the indicator still remains lit. Is that accurate?

What I'm used to on Fords is when you press "On" you don't really get any indication, but once you press "Set" the green indicator comes on and the cruise is engaged.

-Rod

cortervette
05-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Yes we do get the green indicator light when we press "set". However the cruise does not work.

Tinovolpe
08-19-2013, 09:36 AM
I have the reverse issue on my 2001 DOHC. I can't turn the cruise control off with the button on the steering wheel. I have to tap the brake. I'm guessing the contacts on the button are shot. Can those buttons imbedded in the stering wheel be changed individually? Maybe the set button on yours is bad?

jt32199
10-18-2013, 12:22 AM
I had a 86 Ranger and my cruise quit. I found there was a switch on the brake pedal arm that was out of adjustment. When you step on the brake it turns off the cruise. You may want to check if there is a switch on the brake arm.

Or you may have a vacuum hose leak to the cruise unit.

Add your comment to this topic!