Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Interior neon lights

justin@af
03-20-2001, 05:48 PM
I just got two 10" neon blue neon lights...and was wondering how i install them...any ideas??

TheMan5952
03-21-2001, 12:25 AM
Do you want them to be one all the time, through a switch, or just when you turn your headlights on or something?

verboom
03-29-2001, 09:24 PM
Well, I see it like this. You can either put them in your car, and end up lookng like a pimp, or you can just toss them, and keep you car looking good.

Koojo
03-29-2001, 09:50 PM
I worked a little bit with this stuff, so I think i can help you out. this simplest way that i can put it is that you will need a switch, (3 prong switch is good), some good wire, and a brain. the prong on your switch that says PWR or BTRY, will connect to a consant power source, such as a 12V on your consol or straight to the battery (if you are connecting straight to the batter, you will need to put an inline fuse in that wire.) The second prong should says something like ACC, this is where you hook up your neons to. The third prong is the GRD, which will connect to any bare piece of metal on your car. Remember to ground the switch and the neons to a different places. This should give you some idea. email me or reply if you need more help. peace :smoka:

John98R/T
04-25-2001, 04:13 PM
Hey if you want a cool look, go for LED lights they last way longer than neon, and they emit a higher density light. I have a blue LED light under each seat in my car and it adds personality to your cars interior.

Peace

:eek:

Koojo
04-25-2001, 09:02 PM
Neons dont get hot, and LED do I think, so I dunno if thats to any danger to putting it under the seat. I also dont know how much LED cost, but you can get a neon license plate frame to put under the seat for about $13 on a website I know. They are one of the best neons around. Email me if you need more info. Peace

TheMan5952
04-26-2001, 06:27 PM
LED's don't get hot. LED's are the same thing that lights up the Num Lock Light, or the blinking light for a Alarm System.

imagettin2ya
12-26-2001, 08:20 AM
I wanna put something of this sort in my pickup, and I was wonderin where I could get them, the best way to hook them up, what lasts longest, and all the details like that. I'm kinda new at this, so I definatly need all the help I can get.

Koojo
12-26-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by imagettin2ya
I wanna put something of this sort in my pickup, and I was wonderin where I could get them, the best way to hook them up, what lasts longest, and all the details like that. I'm kinda new at this, so I definatly need all the help I can get.

Go to www.streetglow.com ...they have the best lights around that last. They also have a lot of message boards and forums, so you can pretty much learn whatever you need there..thats how I learned most of my stuff...good luck man

GreenAvenger
02-11-2002, 04:22 PM
I would say that u should follow the directions that came with them. if none came with the lights then use common sense..double stick tape..small screws etc...

Koojo
02-11-2002, 07:56 PM
I definatly want to put neons in my car....primarily under the dash so it would light the area where that legs are....but I dont have a hole in my fire wall where I can run all the wires through, and I dont really want to drill my car. So I dunno what im gonna do

sciguyjim
06-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Koojo
I definatly want to put neons in my car....primarily under the dash so it would light the area where that legs are....but I dont have a hole in my fire wall where I can run all the wires through, and I dont really want to drill my car. So I dunno what im gonna do

I'm no expert at this but here's my idea. How about running the wires from under the dash inconspicuously along the bottom corners of the leg space toward the door. You might be able to then run them behind the front fender and up into the engine compartment. The weatherstripping would not pinch the wires hard and since the small gap from the wires is near the floor, no water can drip in.

Another thought, is that you may be able to wire the lights to the cigarette lighter from behind or under the dash. A switch could be installed in either setup to turn them on and off.

iT90accord
07-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Ok i know how to hook up strobes and everything and how to connect it to the switchs but how do you find a power wire without hooking it up directly to your battery? Is there some place that you can hook any kind of power wires to under the dash or whatever?

thanx
lataZ

sciguyjim
07-22-2002, 01:48 AM
I think you should be able to get battery power by tapping into the appropriate fuse holder on the battery side of the fuse. You could then put your own fuse into the line and use that to power anything directly off the battery.

At K-mart I saw some fuse holders that did this exact thing. They plugged into an existing fuse holder and had a spot for the fuse in the original circuit. From one side of this new fuse holder, a wire came off which had another fuse holder in it. This was an easy way to add a new fused circuit without having to tear into any electronics under the dash. It looked simple yet effective.

priyesh
10-22-2002, 11:55 AM
hi

can any1 help me?

i live in the UK and i own a Honda Civic 3dr Hatchback i bought some neon washers for the front off my car i want to know where do i get the power for the lights?do i directly connect them to the battery?

:D :flash:

Koojo
10-22-2002, 03:41 PM
Yes should directly come from the battery. Put an inline fuse into that power wire just to be extra safe.

priyesh
10-23-2002, 10:21 AM
yea ok thanx ill do that. but i was wondering the lights are supose to connect to headlights because when the headlights turn on the washers turn on, if u connect it directly to the battery it wont work with the headlights it works independently
:flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash: :flash:

Koojo
10-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Ya you can connect it to the headlights. I recommend putting a switch in though so you can turn the washers on or off if you don't want them on all the time.

Johannes
11-07-2003, 12:57 PM
I would recommend hooking those windshield washer neon things up to a switch... say a cop pulls you over for something else, you can just hit the switch and not have to turn your headlights off... hooking them up to the headlights is way more convenient but since the windshield washer neons are semi illegal in some areas I'd play it safe. Having them hooked up to your headlights, as well as a kill switch would be ideal!

As for the firewall, I was having the same problem in my 1991 Nissan pickup... I started hunting around and below my glove box, kind of where the passenger's feet would be, there's a little rubber plug the size of a quarter, leading to the engine compartment! I poked a tiny hole in there with a screwdriver, pushed a few wires through and that worked. The wires are so tight in the hole of the plug that no water or engine smell or whatever will get through. You could even take a spot of hot glue or something to be watertight.

u c p
11-13-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm interested in putting Hottwirez in my car but am not sure of the most efficient method.

I don't have money growing from trees so I'll only put 5 sets of neons in -- one on the dash and one on each of my four doors. Unfortunately, Hottwirez aren't the cheapest or convenient things in the world. Since they come in 15' at the most and (from what I'm told) I'm only allowed to make one cut on each line of neon I buy, I wondered if I could put just one 15' neon around the piece on the front door as well as the back door, hiding the neons in between in my door panels/carpeting. Is this even possible or am I wasting my time?

If that WORKS, I probably won't have enough neon to wire all the way to my power source/power switch. Is it possible to make an extension of just electrical wires to the power source to make up for the lack of neon? Or do the Hottwirez have to directly connect to the power source?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Johannes
11-13-2003, 10:30 PM
What are those neon light wire things anyways? Do they come with a neg and pos wire to hook up to your battery or do they have a cig lighter plug?

u c p
11-14-2003, 07:02 PM
http://www.streetglow.com has some pictures.

Johannes
11-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Those are pretty cool... it says you can trim to any size... can you really do that or does it break the connection

u c p
11-15-2003, 01:55 PM
I think you can trim to any size, but you can't use the excess after your cut.

Johannes
11-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Oh okay that makes sense... guess you can't cut it into bits and have all the pieces light up heh

Johannes
11-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Hey does anybody know where how can get or how you can make the flashing red LED's for an alarm... are those just wired off the battery or what?

thunderchicken2
01-16-2004, 01:00 AM

There is a much easier way lighting the under-part of the dash. They sell colored bulbs that cost about $3 and take 2 seconds to pull out the old bulbs which you should have and stick these in. I bought mine at Wal-mart, along with the green dome, ropes, and the green door-panel lense at most truck stops or something. All take no time to hook, and little or no wiring.

MStout
02-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Cant you run the power supply from the Cd Players supply then to the switch? Im pretty sure there is always juice going to the CD Player cause when I tried running my amp wire to it, it always turned the amp on even with the car turned off. I think that would work.

HondaOz
04-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Does anybody know how I can customize my 88 acura legend? I'm trying to figure out what performance parts I can add to it or any ways I could change the interior. I'm trying to take the leather seats of the back and add new ones, and also put racing seats, but I don't think they have mounts for this model. also I'm trying to figure how I can put a better looking bodykit, cause they have very, very, very few for a model that old

PLEASE HEEEEEEELP!!!!

HondaOz
04-23-2004, 06:35 PM
I have an Acura Legend, its pretty beat up, but I decided I was gonna put some love into it, but I'm kinda lost where to start, so here is a list, plz help me.

How to paint dashboard?
How to install racing seats? is 88 after all
Can I install any new kind of gauges for it?
Changing interior carpet?
How to remove stains from carpets or seats?
What are the best products for cleaning?

Check my page out, Thans

HondaOz
04-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I have an Acura Legend, its pretty beat up, but I decided I was gonna put some love into it, but I'm kinda lost where to start, so here is a list, plz help me.

How to paint dashboard?
How to install racing seats? is 88 after all
Can I install any new kind of gauges for it?
Changing interior carpet?
How to remove stains from carpets or seats?
What are the best products for cleaning?

Check my page out, Thanks a lot

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/569777

RikStang87
05-08-2004, 09:53 PM
to everyone looking for a 12v feed- all you need to do is find something with a 12v power feed- i used the feed to the cig lighter- i have power to 6 strobe lights two neons and various leds- and my cig lighhter still functions- plus if you tap the cig lighter it is already fused. to the guy with headlight strobes- it is extremely easy to drill a small hole in the fire wall- find something that goes all the way throught the fire wall. a bolt, wire etc. that wway when you drill you know exactly where your hole is- i wired all 6 of my headlight/taillight strrobes in just a little more than 1 hr

skylinez07
04-13-2007, 03:04 PM
to everyone looking for a 12v feed- all you need to do is find something with a 12v power feed- i used the feed to the cig lighter- i have power to 6 strobe lights two neons and various leds- and my cig lighhter still functions- plus if you tap the cig lighter it is already fused. to the guy with headlight strobes- it is extremely easy to drill a small hole in the fire wall- find something that goes all the way throught the fire wall. a bolt, wire etc. that wway when you drill you know exactly where your hole is- i wired all 6 of my headlight/taillight strrobes in just a little more than 1 hr
oK WELL i BOUGHT A SET OF 4 LED 9" BARS FROM eBAY AND iM looking to install them I have a switch with 3 prongs and the neons go like this: Bars-----Wire----Control box----pos. and negative wire------ Im confused on how to do this using a switch. Ive read all the posts and im still lost. I know i could run it to the battery but im wanting to run it to the fuse box. Other thing is that In the positive wire at the end there is a fuse incased so if i did hook them up to the battery what would i still need to do??? Please help. Thank you. Tom.

eric_live
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.car-auctions-reviews.com/20070518.jpg

ArmstrongLou
01-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Hey if you want a cool look, go for LED lights they last way longer than neon, and they emit a higher density light. I have a blue LED light under each seat in my car and it adds personality to your cars interior.

Peace

:eek:

That sounds great. But I wonder if i'll consume battery quickly?:biggrin:

number50
03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I've got a black interior in my car. I bought a pair of 9" blue neon tubes. I am really satisfied with them though. 9" are easily bright enough. I will put up pics in a couple days. I have only installed one under the driver side dash, and one above the driver just at the edge of the visor. I will post pics to show.
Another thing you should try is putting new speaker grills on the front door speakers or on the rear deck, I have sound activated 6" neons right behind the grills on my 6x9" speakers. Its amazing seeing them pulse to the music. I've also got the blue series underglow kit from streetglow.
I have just ordered another pair to match on the other side and I will be soon putting LED's in the vents..... the one thing that I'm concerned with is the light in the vents. will it be too hot for neons? will leds not disperse the light well enough ( I want light out the whole vent)
ARE YOU ACTUALLY UNABLE TO PUT NEONS IN THE VENTS?

that was going to be my first option but people here say they will not work?

robkooL
10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I suggest cathodes over neons. They are cheaper and brighter

'97ventureowner
10-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

Add your comment to this topic!