Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Removing 4R55E transmission: How to disengage the tranny and torque converter from engine

Pieceofstick
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
As the title states, I'm that far. Know how anybody? help is appreciated.

thanks in advance

tempfixit
04-11-2013, 03:38 PM
As the title states, I'm that far. Know how anybody? help is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Normally the torque convertor is attached to the flexplate with 3 or 4 bolts. Should be a cover you can remove to access the flexplate, you will need to rotate the engine crankshaft to find the bolts on the engine side of plate.

Pieceofstick
04-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Normally the torque convertor is attached to the flexplate with 3 or 4 bolts. Should be a cover you can remove to access the flexplate, you will need to rotate the engine crankshaft to find the bolts on the engine side of plate.
I already have done that. I am wondering if I can use a pry bar to take the transmission off of the engine. I've tried everything almost and it doesn't wanna disengage. I did get all of the fasteners.
Thnaks

tempfixit
04-11-2013, 04:15 PM
I assume you have all the housing to engine bolts removed also. Possibly the dowel pins are holding, you should be able to use a pry bar as long as there is a place you can pry on without damaging any thing. The convertor should come along with the tranny, but the tranny with the oil pump shaft can come out of the convertor also seperately.

Pieceofstick
04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
OK< so I have already removed ALL 4 torque converter to flexplate nuts and this thing doesn't wanna come. Have all bolts off, and am using a pry bar to seperate the tranny from the engine. The right side, where the flywheel is located wont come out. I also hear some moving metal object inside the tranny (probably torque converter). I need help on how to pull this out without breaking the tranny or engine block. The right side wont come loose, the left side is free.

HELP
Thnx

tempfixit
04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
What year vehicle, engine 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Pieceofstick
04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
What year vehicle, engine 2 or 4 wheel drive?
1996 Ford Explorer V6 4.0 4X4

tempfixit
04-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, 4R44E, 4R55E
1996 Aerostar/Ranger/Explorer Workshop Manual
REMOVAL
Procedure revision date: 10/20/1999

Transmission - 4x4

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Section 14-01.

Remove two bolts retaining the fan shroud to the radiator. Remove the transmission fluid level indicator.

Raise the vehicle and position suitable safety stands. Refer to Section 00-02.

Remove four skid plate bolts and the skid plate.

Mark the relationship of the driveshaft centering flanges, rear axle companion flange, and transfer case flange so the driveshaft can be installed in the original position.

Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange to the rear axle companion flange. Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange at the transfer case flange. Remove the rear driveshaft.

Mark the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and U-joint flange. Remove four bolts retaining the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and at the U-joint flange. Remove the front driveshaft.

Remove the bolts and nuts from the catalytic converter outlet and muffler inlet. Using mechanics wire, secure the muffler and tailpipe assembly to the vehicle. Remove three nuts from the crossover-to-converter inlet and disconnect the HO2S connector. Disconnect the converter from the hanger and remove it from the vehicle.

Disconnect the shift cable from the lever and bracket. Position the cable aside. Disconnect two rear HO2S connectors and the locator.

Remove four bolts from the crossover pipe and remove the crossover.

Position a drain pan. Disconnect the heat shield from the transmission pan. Remove the transmission pan bolts and drain the transmission. Position the transmission pan and install the bolts, using the original gasket. Connect the heat shield to the pan and remove the drain pan.

Remove the ground wire nut at the starter motor and position the wire aside. Remove the starter stud and bolt. Position the starter aside.

NOTE: Flexplate-to-converter nuts are not reusable.

Mark the relationship of a converter stud to the flexplate. Rotate the torque converter and remove four flexplate-to-converter nuts. Discard the nuts.

Remove one upper right bell housing bolt and the fluid level indicator tube.

Disconnect the transmission cooler lines and install protective caps on the lines.

Disconnect the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor connector. Remove the nut and the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor. Disconnect the transfer case vent tube hose and the shift motor connector.

Position a jack stand to support the engine.

Position a transmission jack, raise it to the transmission, and secure it with a safety chain.

Remove the left and right crossmember bolts and nuts. Remove the transmission mount nuts. Remove the crossmember and slightly lower the transmission.

Disconnect both transmission 16-pin connectors at the rear of the left and right cylinder heads. Remove the transmission-to-engine bolts.

CAUTION: The torque converter must separate from the flexplate and remain seated in the transmission. The transmission must not tip forward, as the torque converter could fall out while lowering the transmission.
Separate the transmission from the engine and carefully lower the transmission from the vehicle.

hope this helps

Pieceofstick
04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, 4R44E, 4R55E
1996 Aerostar/Ranger/Explorer Workshop Manual
REMOVAL
Procedure revision date: 10/20/1999

Transmission - 4x4

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Section 14-01.

Remove two bolts retaining the fan shroud to the radiator. Remove the transmission fluid level indicator.

Raise the vehicle and position suitable safety stands. Refer to Section 00-02.

Remove four skid plate bolts and the skid plate.

Mark the relationship of the driveshaft centering flanges, rear axle companion flange, and transfer case flange so the driveshaft can be installed in the original position.

Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange to the rear axle companion flange. Remove four bolts retaining the driveshaft centering flange at the transfer case flange. Remove the rear driveshaft.

Mark the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and U-joint flange. Remove four bolts retaining the front driveshaft at the transfer case yoke and at the U-joint flange. Remove the front driveshaft.

Remove the bolts and nuts from the catalytic converter outlet and muffler inlet. Using mechanics wire, secure the muffler and tailpipe assembly to the vehicle. Remove three nuts from the crossover-to-converter inlet and disconnect the HO2S connector. Disconnect the converter from the hanger and remove it from the vehicle.

Disconnect the shift cable from the lever and bracket. Position the cable aside. Disconnect two rear HO2S connectors and the locator.

Remove four bolts from the crossover pipe and remove the crossover.

Position a drain pan. Disconnect the heat shield from the transmission pan. Remove the transmission pan bolts and drain the transmission. Position the transmission pan and install the bolts, using the original gasket. Connect the heat shield to the pan and remove the drain pan.

Remove the ground wire nut at the starter motor and position the wire aside. Remove the starter stud and bolt. Position the starter aside.

NOTE: Flexplate-to-converter nuts are not reusable.

Mark the relationship of a converter stud to the flexplate. Rotate the torque converter and remove four flexplate-to-converter nuts. Discard the nuts.

Remove one upper right bell housing bolt and the fluid level indicator tube.

Disconnect the transmission cooler lines and install protective caps on the lines.

Disconnect the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor connector. Remove the nut and the vehicle speed (VSS) sensor. Disconnect the transfer case vent tube hose and the shift motor connector.

Position a jack stand to support the engine.

Position a transmission jack, raise it to the transmission, and secure it with a safety chain.

Remove the left and right crossmember bolts and nuts. Remove the transmission mount nuts. Remove the crossmember and slightly lower the transmission.

Disconnect both transmission 16-pin connectors at the rear of the left and right cylinder heads. Remove the transmission-to-engine bolts.

CAUTION: The torque converter must separate from the flexplate and remain seated in the transmission. The transmission must not tip forward, as the torque converter could fall out while lowering the transmission.
Separate the transmission from the engine and carefully lower the transmission from the vehicle.

hope this helps

I have this identical DIY in my Chiltons book. Is still wont budge, I'm afraid I'll break something...:disappoin:

tempfixit
04-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Read this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294596&highlight=transmission+removal

Pieceofstick
04-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Well, I feel like an idiot. Left a hidden bolt. It was rusted on and took some brawn to remove it but once that was gone, I was able to remove the tranny. Thanks.

tempfixit
04-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Don't feel bad as I have done that at times also and I am sure a lot of others have also missed a hidden bolt. Some times it just pays to walk away for a while and then double check things again.

shorod
04-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Well, I feel like an idiot. Left a hidden bolt. It was rusted on and took some brawn to remove it but once that was gone, I was able to remove the tranny. Thanks.

Was the missed bolt the one referenced in step 1 above? ;)

-Rod

Pieceofstick
04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Was the missed bolt the one referenced in step 1 above? ;)

-Rod
Yes, it's just quite hard to know because they didn't say how many bolts where needed to come out. I will post a picture of this bolt. Took an hour to get out with my Dad. RUST.

Now I know: on a 2X4 Explorer 4R55E: 6 bolts
on a 4X4 Explorer 4R55E: 7-8 bolts

Love that this forum is so quick! Thanks all!

shorod
04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
I was actually kidding, since all steps in the list posted above are shown as "1."

-Rod

Pieceofstick
04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
^^I assumed so...:naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!