Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Cherokee needs priest please help!!!

becca1979
03-27-2013, 02:44 PM
First it wont start Randomly only when it feels like it
Then the dash dials go crazy and the brake lights stay on
The clicking comming from the brake pedal even without the key in t
he ignition led to me kicking the hell out of what I npw know was the brake switch needless to say I replaced that and the brake lights started working I got the car started for a day and it
Died again and the brake switch is freaking out and making a ratcheting. Sound again I'm. Thinking one of four things bad ground bad ignition switch bad starter/wires or Demons ....please help!!!:runaround:

fredjacksonsan
03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
How is your battery? Several things you mentioned can be caused by a weak battery. When you get it tested (at Autozone or similar) have them test your alternator also.

When you say the brake pedal is clicking, when does it do it - when you push on it? You said even when the key is not in?

aleekat
03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
After battery, check your battery cables.

becca1979
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally it just gave me a hard time starting it hesitated a few times tgen started up. The next time it happened it didn't turn over at all just a click waited a few hours and it just started. Then i went out to start the car opened the door and I heard this rachetty click. And the dash devices were going crazy mind boggled I sat in my car with the key in my hand and decided to try n start it and nothing but a click. I finally put my foot on the brake and when I did the dials stopped spinnig and the clicking stopped my brake lights were also stuck on. The brake switch fixed that problem...had rhe car jumped and it started up ran all day came home shut it off for the night tried this morning and nothing. Got 1jump nothing waited 4hours and another jump started right up.

becca1979
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Car started today had the battery alternator and starter tested at two different places one guy said the alternator failed the other guy said everything. Passed got home car will not start ignition swith maybe?

fredjacksonsan
03-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Do you have the 4.0 six cylinder? Do you have over 80000 miles? If so, it could be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). There are a bunch of threads on here about it, and unreliable starting is one of the symptoms.

Let us know what engine, how many miles, and what transmission you have.

becca1979
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Its an automatic 4.7 liter with 152000 miles I looked up a lot of stuff and for the last couple days when I've tried to start it the lights dimmed in the start position now they are not leading me to believe that it may be the ignition switch what's your imput on that thought
I refuse to put a lot of money into this demonic beast

becca1979
03-27-2013, 11:18 PM
I wanted to add that its not cranking stalling or backfiring so I'm missing alot of the cps symptoms once its started it purrs like a kitten

hundahunta
03-28-2013, 12:35 AM
check voltage drop of your battery cables

fredjacksonsan
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Yep, battery cables. I've seen corrosion as far as 8" away from the battery, and that reduces the voltage the cable will carry.

Add your comment to this topic!