Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rusted right rear wheel well

57corv
03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
The right rear inner fender well on my '97 LeSabre is badly rusted in a couple of places. This caused my electrical problems on a previous post. A couple of years ago one of you suggested a fix for my badly rusted left rocker panel. I simply ordered a steel cover from JC Whitney. It worked great.
Is there anything like a metal or plastic inner wheel well cover that I can attach to the wheel well to keep the moisture and dirt out of the trunk and back seat area. I have checked with JC Whitney, but they don't have anything like that.

57corv
03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
I went to Home Depot and got some 6" wide aluminum flashing. I cut it to the length needed (2') and fastened it to the underside of the wheel well with a dozen sheet metal screws. Then I took some silicon and filled in any gaps around the edges. I finished with several coats of rubberized undercoating.
I hope it lasts as long as I keep the car. At least the aluminum won't rust.

happydog500
03-19-2013, 01:49 PM
My 97 has a soaked trunk almost all the time. This area is a known problem on these but i can't see anywhere where the water comes in at.

I know it's not coming in the seal around the lid though.

Would be nice to see some pictures of the fix you did.

Chris.

Tech II
03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Easiest thing to do, is remove the trim inside the trunk, so everything can be seen.......then get in there with a light and have someone hose down the vehicle, in an orderly fashion......have seen the trunk seal, rear window seal, body seals, and the tail light assemblies be the causes....

57corv
03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
My 97 has a soaked trunk almost all the time. This area is a known problem on these but i can't see anywhere where the water comes in at.

I know it's not coming in the seal around the lid though.

Would be nice to see some pictures of the fix you did.

Chris.
As Tech II indicated, pull the trim back from the wheel wells and have someone with a light go over the area from underneath. I think the metal used on the wheel wells was a thinner grade metal. I have never had any of my other cars rust through in that area. I will try to get out there with my digital camera and take a picture of the repair. Not very hi tech or professional, but it worked. Keep in mind that the front of the wheel well goes beside the back seat area behind the upright seat back. Water can get in there also.

Add your comment to this topic!