Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 ford contour charging issues

mopar man
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I have saw a thread on here for a 98 but it didn't help at all the battery alternator mega 175 amp fuse is all brand new I have gone through all the fuses and I cant get it to charge and I checked the ground side and all the grounds on the car for the charging systems and I am almost at my wits end with this car any help would be greatly appreciated :iceslolan

DeltaP
02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Is the charging light on? Did you check the 20 amp ignition fuse,(#4 fuse I believe), in the under hood power distribution box? Has the battery been fully charged and tested? Battery open voltage should be 12.5 volts or better. Is the charging light on while running? Run the engine around 2000 RPM with the headlights on and measure voltage at the alternator B+ terminal. Should be 13v or better. Then measure voltage at the alternator feed terminal on the starter relay.There shouldn't be more than a 1/2 volt difference. If so repair the high resistance connections or open in wire between the alternator B+ and starter relay. If the alternator still doesn't charge enough put a jumper between the "F" terminal screw on the regulator and the alternator case. If the output voltage increases to 13 to 15 volts replace the regulator. If output voltage doesn't increase to at least 13 volts replace the alternator.

mopar man
02-22-2013, 01:13 AM
thanks for the help i checked the fuse and and yes the light is always on or was i was checking the alternator over again and someone cut the B+ line leading to the battery it was cut to where i could not see it i rewired it back together and it is charging fine now thanks so much for the help though it was really appreciated

DeltaP
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Thank you for posting the result. Glad you got it fixed.

Add your comment to this topic!