Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Explorer Sport Turn Signals

oogle88jr
02-09-2013, 11:50 AM
i have a 1998 explorer sport and the problem im having is with my turn signals. it works for about couple of seconds and then it freezes. it does this to both sides. i thought first it was my fuse but checked it and was okay. was wondering if it could be the light bulb.

shorod
02-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!

When you say "it freezes" do you mean it stays illuminated, or it stops working? What happens if you turn on your four way flashers while it's "frozen"?

-Rod

oogle88jr
02-09-2013, 08:52 PM
It stays illuminated. But then I'll just keep turning the signal manually like keep repeatedly turning the handle down and up but then I see that it'll work great but then it'll freeze. I haven't tried the hazards yet

DeltaP
02-10-2013, 09:51 AM
It stays illuminated. But then I'll just keep turning the signal manually like keep repeatedly turning the handle down and up but then I see that it'll work great but then it'll freeze. I haven't tried the hazards yet

Weak flasher.

shorod
02-10-2013, 02:11 PM
The flasher on your truck is a solid-state flasher (not the old style bi-metallic strip flasher) and the same device provides the pulsed voltage for both the turn signals and the hazard lights. The hazard lights use a separate pulsed output from the flasher though, so see if the hazard lights function properly (including when the brakes are applied). If so, that at least rules out a wiring issue or a problem with the multifunction switch.

Do you happen to have a trailer wiring connector installed, and if so, do you know if it uses the factory pigtail connector or if it was tied in to the taillight wiring directly? If tied in to the taillight wiring directly, see if the turn signals stop flashing when the brake pedal is applied. The wiring may have been installed incorrectly or with non-weather tight splices and the brake light signals is feeding back to the turn signals circuit through the multifunction switch.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!