Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sick of it

bobbyjoes
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi ,i have 98 lesabre clunking noise for long time,i changed struts ,swaybar links ,got inner tie and outer going to replace tomm,,if your driving i turn wheel a little left you can feel it it shake and bang turn it little right it quits,had a shop guy say it was tie rods ,but im fixing it self for money reasons ,but going over bumps it still clunks like crazy could that be all in tie rod, everything else seems tight,running out of ideas ,thanks

Tech II
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Inner and outer tie rods are easy to check, before replacing them......

Almost sounds like a hub......but hubs makes a roaring sound, not a clunking one per se.......hub acts like this: you drive down a straightaway at 30-40 mph, turn slightly left, then slightly right(SAFELY), and a noise gets louder or stays the same turning one way, but gets lower or goes away when turning in the opposite direction.....

Other possibility is your CV joint in the axle....see any grease flung from the joint? They tend to make clicking noises on turns or hard accelerations.....

Still, another possibility is the mount/bearing on top of the struts....

bobbyjoes
01-08-2013, 05:35 PM
ok ,went ran some arens,did the same thing as above,but when i got in my drive way ,i played around with steering wheel,turni it all the way to the left and went back and forth queit,turned it all the way to the right and at the end went back and forth clunk clunk, like play then clunk ,its that tie rod?

bobbyjoes
01-08-2013, 07:29 PM
well i will replace tie inner outertie rod tomm see what it does,it need new tires so want to replace parts now cv and wheel bearing you dont have to realign do ya

tempfixit
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Have you checked the ball joints???

Add your comment to this topic!