Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 Sport Trac Low beam lights will not come on

fanofelliottmjb
12-15-2012, 11:01 PM
All other lights work including Driving lights and High Beams.

I have checked fuses. Can you guys lead me in how to figure out what is causing this?

Thanks

Monte

shorod
12-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Have you checked the bulbs? It's possible that one low beam was out well before the other but you didn't notice until all of a sudden you had no light in front.

Do you have a multimeter or test light to confirm that you have power to the low beam circuit at the headlight?

-Rod

DeltaP
12-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Have you checked the bulbs? It's possible that one low beam was out well before the other but you didn't notice until all of a sudden you had no light in front.

Do you have a multimeter or test light to confirm that you have power to the low beam circuit at the headlight?

-Rod

Stranger things have happened!

DeltaP
12-16-2012, 03:28 PM
My Mountaineer, (Explorer), has a headlamp relay as well as high beam and DRL relays in the under hood fuse/relay box. Might want to check them if the fuses,(#42 and 43), are OK. Then there's the high beam switch and GEM module to contend with. All headlamp circuits run through them.

fanofelliottmjb
12-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I do have a voltage checker and will check the bulbs although I'm sure I will find the bulbs okay because I just drove it the night before this happened and witnessed them on.

I don't have DRL I assume this to be Daytime Running Lights.

Would the High Beam Switch you are referring to be the Multifunction Switch?

What is the GEM Module?

Thanks for the help so far. I really appreciate this.

Monte

shorod
12-16-2012, 11:49 PM
The High Beams are switched via the Multifunction Switch (MFS). The GEM module is the Generic Electronic Module, but doesn't come in to play for the low beam headlamps.

Each low beam headlamp is on its own fuse, fuse F1.38 (10A) for the left and F1.42 (10A) for the right. Both of these fuses are located in the Battery Junction Box. Confirm that you have power to both of these fuses when the headlamps are turned on in their low beam position. If not, then you get to work your way back to the MFS and the headlamp switch.

Does your Sport Trac have Autolamps?

-Rod

fanofelliottmjb
12-17-2012, 08:28 PM
It does have autolamps. A function that I have never used. :(

Monte

shorod
12-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Looking at the wiring diagram for the Autolamps, that really doesn't change anything. The Autolamp module and relay are in parallel with the normal headlamp circuit so the same fuses apply, etc.

Time to get out the multimeter.

-Rod

fanofelliottmjb
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
After using the volt meter checking switches and fuses. I have ordered a Multifunction Switch. Oh and by the way it is $25.00 cheaper to get it from Ford than O'rielly or Autozone.

Will let you know the results.

Monte

fanofelliottmjb
01-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Does somebody have a wiring diagram for the lights on a 2004 sport trac I could have.

Monte

shorod
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Yep, send me a Private Message with the request and an e-mail address for you and I'll e-mail you a PDF from the factory service manual.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!