Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 buick serpentine belt

army
12-14-2012, 03:15 AM
serpentine belt squeeling i put on a new belt manufactured by kbe and still slipping looks like alighnment is off i wonder if it could be the new belt right now i am using soap to stop squeeling but noise eventully returns anyone have a suggestion thanx

DeltaP
12-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Check the auto tensioner pulley for the alignment issue. Often when they wear out they'll "cock" to one side. That and a loss in tension can cause the squealing.

army
12-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Check the auto tensioner pulley for the alignment issue. Often when they wear out they'll "cock" to one side. That and a loss in tension can cause the squealing.
thanx for info i will look into that.

army
12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
your right the tensioner has "cocked" out by quite a bit i got one at scrap yard and will install it.

DeltaP
12-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Hope it works for you. I dont know if I would go for a used tensioner. Odds are its got alot of wear on it too. Like picking up a used belt and installing it. Its a high wear part.

auto trainy
12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't know if you got a whole tensioner but you can purchase a new pulley and bearing for a few bucks and not have to replace the whole thing,good luck and Merry Christmas.

DeltaP
12-20-2012, 05:46 AM
I would recommend you replace the entire assembly with a new one.

Add your comment to this topic!