Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Accord LX, 2 problems

Elk1007
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM
I just bought a used 93 accord. The engine is in good shape and runs smoothly most of the time, but I have two issues.

First, when I start the engine cold, there is a very loud belt squealing for about 3 or 4 seconds. Is this a common problem and, if I isolate the belt at fault, what should I do about it?

Second, the engine revs (both audibly and on the tach) when I press on the breaks. I've been told by a friend it might be a vacuum leak? Any ideas?

Thanks for your time :)

ProMan
12-07-2012, 11:55 PM
For your first issue, you need to replace the driving belts. Make sure you clean the pulleys thoroughly before you install the new belt, and make sure they are at the proper tension.

Elk1007
12-08-2012, 01:33 AM
For your first issue, you need to replace the driving belts. Make sure you clean the pulleys thoroughly before you install the new belt, and make sure they are at the proper tension.

Thanks for the reply :)

So you know it's the driving belts just from what I've described?
Or is it just an educated guess?

Ontiveros
12-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the reply :)

So you know it's the driving belts just from what I've described?
Or is it just an educated guess?

I agree with what ProMan said...

Elk1007
12-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Can anyone comment on my other problem?

Soheel Ali
01-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi, If there was a vacuum leak, your engine would be adling above 900 rpm always, and when you push the brake padel, all vacuum is finished.

Just check which RPM you are adling at. Normally the idling goes higher when you play with the brake padel after 5 or 6 pumps.

Add your comment to this topic!