Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power windows dont work

MillerMan24
12-04-2012, 06:55 PM
i have a 99 mountaineer that the powers windows dont work. i checked the fuss and its fine and everything on that fuss works. i have replaced the switch. i have also checked for broken wires. I cant figure it out if any one can help that would be nice

tempfixit
12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
i have a 99 mountaineer that the powers windows dont work. i checked the fuss and its fine and everything on that fuss works. i have replaced the switch. i have also checked for broken wires. I cant figure it out if any one can help that would be nice

Do you have power to the switch, have you tested with a test light???

Do you have a wiring diagram?

shorod
12-04-2012, 10:44 PM
As mentioned above, checking for power to the switch is the next logical step. Well, technically, checking for power to the switch would have been the logical step prior to replacing the switch.... ;)

Do any of the windows work from any of the door switches, or are they all dead? Did you just perform an visual inspection for broken wires in the accordion boot between the door and cabin? Typically what happens is the copper inside the wire insulation breaks, so there isn't necessarily an obvious break. It usually takes a careful eye to check for the characteristic kink in the wire.

-Rod

MillerMan24
12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I do have power to the switch. Non of the window switches work. I have tried to find a wiring diagram and cant find one in the owners manual repair books or internet.

tempfixit
12-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Do you have a power lock switch on your master control panel??? Do power door locks work???

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a wiring diagram.

2 or 4 door vehicle.

shorod
12-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't think they ever made a 2-door Mountaineer. ;)

Does the switch backlighting work when the parking or headlights are on? If not, your issue may be the ground rather than the power feed.

-Rod

tempfixit
12-08-2012, 03:08 PM
The source I found the wiring diagrams shows a diagram for 2 door and 4 door seperately, that is why I asked.

shorod
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
The source I found the wiring diagrams shows a diagram for 2 door and 4 door seperately, that is why I asked.

Yep, the diagram is the same for the Explorer and Mountaineer, and there was a 2-door Explorer Sport.

-Rod

MillerMan24
12-09-2012, 10:55 AM
power locks work and the back light also works

tempfixit
12-09-2012, 11:40 AM
According to the wiring diagram I looked at your vehicle has a power window lock switch, have you double checked to make sure the lock position is not applied or the switch is not defective???

MillerMan24
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I have used mulitupul switches and tried with both wondow lock on and off and still nothing

tempfixit
12-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I have used mulitupul switches and tried with both wondow lock on and off and still nothing

Have you removed the driver door panel and checked for power coming to and out of the window motor?

Have you checked the relays??

Did you get the wiring diagram I emailed you??

MillerMan24
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes i did get the diagram. I had pulled the door panel off and checked all wiring to the switch and to the motor. I alway ran a set of wires to the motor to make sure still good

shorod
12-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Yes i did get the diagram. I had pulled the door panel off and checked all wiring to the switch and to the motor. I alway ran a set of wires to the motor to make sure still good

So even with a dedicated set of power and ground wires the power windows still do not work? You mention you checked wire to the motor, did you also check to see if there was voltage to it?

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!