Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cant pick up speed

fordchick12
11-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi, ive been driving my Ford Explorer for about 2 years in 4WD i didnt know you couldnt drive it like that now its having trouble picking up spead I have the gas all the way on the floor and still it will barley break 30 mph is the fact that its been in 4wd play into the problem?

shorod
11-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Does the engine idle and run smoothly, or does it make somewhat of a popping noise when you're trying to accelerate? When is the last time you had a tune up performed on the truck (spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, etc.)?

What year is your Explorer, and which engine does it have?

If you happen to live and drive on dirt/gravel or sand all the time, using 4WD daily won't likely be an issue, but if you spent a fair amount of time on dry pavement, the transfer case has probably suffered some damage. I wouldn't necessarily consider that first though for your current symptoms, but rather would suspect a vacuum leak or need for a tune up.

-Rod

fordchick12
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Its a 1996, and yes it does make a popping sound. Its been a while since a tune up

shorod
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
It sounds like the lack of power is probably due to either a misfire or a vacuum leak. If you plan to keep the truck for awhile you may want to perform a tune up and see if that helps. If not, check for vacuum leaks.

That is, assuming the pop noise is the muffled popping of a misfire rather than a mechanical pop from a worn transfer case.

-Rod

fordchick12
11-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks my grandpa is gonna look at it today, so this helps. Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!